Looking For AAA Lights With This Criteria:

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tailstand. CRI. Trit Slot. 6/4 Titanium. Two or Three stage.

Anything out there?

fyrstormer

Banned
There's no such thing as "no CRI". All light renders color to some extent.

The Mako, to my eyes, makes everything look brown and the difference between the two levels isn't enough to justify having two levels.

The McGizmo Sapphire is a nice light, but it doesn't tailstand and it doesn't have a trit slot. The keyring attachment could be cut off by someone with a lathe, though.

The ThruNite Ti is two-stage and uses a modern emitter, but it's not actually titanium unlike what the marketing-gimmick name suggests, and it has no trit slot.

The Peak Eiger can tailstand if you get the version without the keyring attachment, but it's not titanium and it has no trit slots.

Basically, the only light in existence that meets your criteria is a LiteFlux LF2XT with a custom-made titanium shell, but those are discontinued. There are no lights currently in production that provide all the features you want.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
There's no such thing as "no CRI". All light renders color to some extent.

The Mako, to my eyes, makes everything look brown and the difference between the two levels isn't enough to justify having two levels.

According to the build thread ( by Endeavor ), the recent re-release of the Mako Flood used a Cree 5mm LED with approximately 4500K (warmish) tint and 75 CRI. The drive levels were set to 6mA low and 20mA high.

With only about a 3:1 output ratio, subjectively, the high and low levels will look relatively closely matched ... but of course run-time will be approximately tripled while on low.

The McGizmo Sapphire is a nice light, but it doesn't tailstand and it doesn't have a trit slot. The keyring attachment could be cut off by someone with a lathe, though.

The ThruNite Ti is two-stage and uses a modern emitter, but it's not actually titanium unlike what the marketing-gimmick name suggests, and it has no trit slot.

The Peak Eiger can tailstand if you get the version without the keyring attachment, but it's not titanium and it has no trit slots.

Basically, the only light in existence that meets your criteria is a LiteFlux LF2XT with a custom-made titanium shell, but those are discontinued. There are no lights currently in production that provide all the features you want.

Great summary!

The Titanium Arc AAA will be similar to the Sapphire, as well.

There was also a special / limited-run Eiger in titanium, and the Peaks with the keychain attachment can remove those for tailstanding (although the lug versions cannot).

The Univex AAA also gets relatively close to meeting most of your criteria above, but also out-of-production now, I believe....

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know about a light in the near future that will meet these criterias, 2 trit slots, 2 levels and Nichia 219... :sssh:

fyrstormer

Banned
According to the build thread ( by Endeavor ), the recent re-release of the Mako Flood used a Cree 5mm LED with approximately 4500K (warmish) tint and 75 CRI. The drive levels were set to 6mA low and 20mA high.

With only about a 3:1 output ratio, subjectively, the high and low levels will look relatively closely matched ... but of course run-time will be approximately tripled while on low.
I tried one of the new Makos, and while I did admire its construction, the emitter just did not work for me. Its (in)ability to render colors made everything further than arm's reach look sepia-toned like an old photograph. As for the levels, the relative difference in runtime is insignificant to me because such a low-power light already has a long runtime, so really the levels needed to be spaced according to utility instead. The low setting was way too bright to read with night-adapted eyes, but not bright enough for distance illumination, so only the higher setting was really useful at all.

Along those lines, what I ultimately settled on was a McGizmo Sapphire 25 with a Nichia DS Warm emitter installed by me. Even though it has a warmer tint, its color rendering is actually much better; blues and greens "pop" much more effectively than they did with the Mako's Cree emitter.

(obligatory showoff pic :D)
CIMG5287b.png

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds tempting. Is there a pre-order?

There's nothing official yet, there won't be a preorder I guess, the light will be sold when it's done and that should be soon.

I told the one in charge about this thread, so he'll probably give us some news here...

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be a thread on the Custom BST, when the light is ready to be sold!

You aren't talking about the HF are you?

I don't think I'm wrong to think the HF built by user The_guy_with_no_name fits your criteria. His thread is located in the custom builders amid modders section.

-Alex

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know about a light in the near future that will meet these criterias, 2 trit slots, 2 levels and Nichia 219... :sssh:

How about we just say who it is? I'm interested. Point me, and everyone else, in the right direction.