4Sevens QuarkAA Confusion

ledzeppie

Newly Enlightened
Hey, so I bought a Quark AA from MEC (a Canadian company) and once I got home I noticed that on the inside cover of the packaging, everywhere that it was supposed to say R5 had tape over it. For example it says "The XP-G (tape with R5 underneath) is the latest in LED technology by Cree". This makes me think the packaging was corrected, and that I don't have an R5? However I was under the impression that the entire quark line was R5. So does anyone have any ideas as to which light I have here? It seems to match the physical specs of the Quark AA, however Im confused by this random tape.

One of the main reasons I ask is because I want to put 14500 batteries into it to double the lumen count, however I am worried that I may not have an R5 light, so doing so may damage it.

So does anyone have any idea wtf is going on? I've emailed 4Sevens already but I thought I'd post here as well to see if I can get a faster response.

PS: Does anyone know how much the bulb life will be reduced if I put 14500 batteries in it?

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Even if it's not it won't be the LED that would be damaged by using 14500 batteries.
PS: Does anyone know how much the bulb life will be reduced if I put 14500 batteries in it?
Not really.
You just need to make sure that you have the proper head for whatever voltage range you're using.
If you're using only a single 14500, AFAIK, all quarks will be okay with it.

Up All Night

Enlightened
ledzeppie,
I purchased my Quark AA @ MEC with packaging same as yours. I've been running it exclusively on a 14500 for about a year, no problems! The head is rated to 4.2 volts. As to why the R5 is covered, hard to say. It's definitely an XP-G. Do a search at the top left of the page for "Quark, R5 or not". There is a thread with someone asking the same thing but his was the 2AA version(same low voltage head, 4.2V) Try to disregard the the "skinflint" comment made in that thread by ledninja......if you can! I know I won't forget it!!

Enjoy running it on "the juice". It's as bright as my Jetbeam BC10, which is around 260 lumens.

P.S.
If you get a reply from 4Sevens please post it. I'm curious as well!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
" R5" is not a visible LED characteristic. fortunately, when 4sevens upgraded, they went from the XP-E R2 to the XP-G R5 LED. You can tell an XP-E from an XP-G by looking. Running the quark low voltage head on a 14500 will not do bad things unless you use more than one or overheat it.