please stop me if this is a bad idea!

backerspit

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire fury on the way. My sole purpose for ordering this light is to bore out the body to make room for 18650's, and use it for edc at work. I have looked around for info in the forums about removing the head and a few people say to use heat and it can be removed. If you guys know somthing that I dont and I am simply getting ready to destroy a good light in the process, please, dont hesitate to offer advise. If its the opinion of the forums that this can be done, successfully, I will post pics of how it turns out. any advice would be great!

Empire

Banned
Be EXTREMELY careful not to overload the light
other than that i MUST issue a warning and I'll leave
DON'T HURT YOURSELF, IT'S YOUR LIGHT THOUGH.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat for very short periods of time and check often to see if the head will come loose. You don't want to risk overheating the head and having the electronics fry.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
the light is made for 2x cr123 cells, 6v you wanna bore it out and use 1x 18650 3.7v, are you sure it will work?

if you want to convert it to rechargables so you don't have to spend on cells, you can use 2x LFP 123A, they are 3,2v, they are even sold on SF site, (they are sold out for now, will be back in stock in 4 weeks) others sell them too.

backerspit

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replies. my main concern with surefires is the cost of batteries, I was unaware of the LFP 123A batteries. I will have to rethink my options on the fury. I'm assuming 1 18650 would decrease my run time now, never thought of that. thanks for the info guys, is there any cure for the flashlight addiction?

Glock 22

Enlightened
I use a AW Protected 17670 in my Fury and I've had no issues. You'll get in the neighborhood of 40 minutes of runtime. No need to bore it. I highly recommend using the 17670.

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
I think I remember reading that the Fury will run for half the specified runtime on a single rechargeable but also at reduced output, although IIRC that was with a 17670. I would probably be more worried about the reduced wall thickness which, if bored completely true and only to 18mm, might at most be 3mm at its thinnest point.

Edit - Glock 22 beat me.

backerspit

Newly Enlightened
I just skimmed through the thread earlier, didnt have time to go through it completely. I am just trying to stay consistant with the other lights I own, all of which are ran on 18650's. the wife has already warned me that I have too many lights and batteries and chargers in the kitchen!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fury will run just fine on a 18650. I use a 17670 in mine (unmodified) and it works just fine. No noticeable difference in output.

As for your comment about the runtime on an 18650, it will be significantly longer than a pair of CR123 primaries.

backerspit

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the fury for a couple reasons, it will be my first surefire, the output (lumens) is right for what I will use it for, and I cant leave well enough alone whether it is guns, knives or flashlights, I like to modify them for my personel standards.