Need help with Skyray 856.

Jimmie

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the "high end" flashlight market and based upon reading this forum, I hope one of you can help me with my problem. I purchased 2 Skyray 856 model each with 3 LED emitters. I have charged the batteries and neither will work. I have written the supplier in China and the language barrrier is so frusting that I hope one of you can help. ( The response from China has been "put batteries in flashlight barrel, srew on cap, push button at end of tube"). Can anyone help me with a little better answer. Bear in mind the I am a novice at this and very technically challanged. Thanks in advande for your help. Jim

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be any number of technical issues, and, unfortunately, when buying an overseas based light, there is a risk of failure and the risk of any sort of product support.

If i'd guess, i bet you have bad cells.

harro

Enlightened
Hi;
I have a light with a name that is similar to yours ( dont want to get into the whole good/bad/knocking product thing ) that takes 4 x 18650's and has 3 x Cree XML emitters, and is roughly the size of a softdrink can.
When it arrived, it didnt work, and had an annoying rattle coming from the head.
What i did to get it to work;
-Disassemble head and body
-Check continuity from -ive spring terminals to body with DMM. Checked ok.
-remove circuit board, found broken wire from switch to board, solder new wire into position.
-stand head on bezel and add three dobs of 24hr epoxy from heatsink to body of the head (!?) No way provided to tighten heatsink.
-leave stand like this till epoxy cured.
-Remove bezel/glass/reflector etc and clean off factory fitted fingerprints, aluminium swarf in threads etc.
-Reassemble with light lube of threads and 'o' Ring.
Result was working light with no flickering or rattles, good heat transfer to body ( quite warm to touch after 1 hr on high ), and some confidence that light will continue to work when required ( time will tell ).
I am going to perform one more mod; ie; contact for +ive on circuit board. Do this by cutting from .003" brass shim circle to match +ive contact on board. Epoxy to contact with electrically conductive adhesive. This will provide a better wear surface for +ive ends of cells.
This may not be necessary for your light, but mine is shaped like a soda can and 4 cells rubbing on this surface causes premature wear.
Hope this helps.