Quite Enamored with Energizer (Intertek) Night Lights...

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a few different types of nightlights from Lowe's yesterday, all with 5mm LEDs, and didn't care for any of them. Build quality was terrible, output was spotty, etc. Went to Target today to pick up a bath towel, spaghetti strainer, etc., and I tried, tried, tried to stay away from lights. I successfully avoided the flashlight aisle, but got sucked into the aisle with the nightlights. I bought two of these and two of these.

I love them!

The first one looks like a traditional nightlight, but has one or more LEDs (can't tell how many) and puts out a very pretty tint, maybe 5000K, maybe a hair less, but no cool blue. This one is called "Traditional." The second one is called "Design" and is made to look more stylish, but the wonderful thing is the tint: it is around 4000K, maybe even 3500K! It has a broad, flat panel to diffuse the light which works very well in this capacity.

The basic one, with the cooler tint, I put above the kitchen counter in the corner, and a second one near the floor. The warmer one, with the flat cover, I installed as a pair: one pointing up, one pointing down, both in the same outlet, above and to the right of my oven/stove, right near my bedroom. Now I can see to get a drink or snack without touching a light switch, or flashlight! Stacking them like that makes for a beautiful effect, and both types have photocells which work very well, with no flickering. Cut the overhead lights, and they turn on; any ambient light, and they turn off.

These are not blowtorches and won't light up a room, but I didn't get them for that purpose. I would put the "Design" version with the warm tint and broad cover closer to places you will be, and the cooler white, "Traditional" version near the floor or countertop to see objects better. I can easily see myself picking up a few more of one or both variety.

While I could not justify the initial outlay of the Sylvania LED bulbs and returned them, I am in love with these, for their tint, price, photocell feature, and simplicity.

And unlike the Sylvania LED bulbs, no hum! :D

One thing to note: The reviews here point out that these are not extraordinarily bright. That is correct. Both project a soft, diffuse glow, and that is why I like them. These won't light up a room, but they will light up a corner, or, give enough ambient light with partially adapted night vision to keep yourself from tripping.

Last edited:

bandits1

Newly Enlightened
I happen to have both of these nightlights! Energizer actually makes some pretty cool LED lights, from nightlights to table lamps. I'm waiting for their A19 and PAR floodlight bulbs to go on sale in the USA.

The traditional nightlight I have has a manual push-button instead of an ambient light sensor, but is otherwise identical to the one you have:

energizerledtraditional.jpg

...I'm looking at both nightlights plugged into the same outlet for comparison, both alongside a floor lamp with two different types/brands of 3000K bulbs - one LED and two CFL - and I'd guess that the "traditional" Energizer is about 2900K or so. The more modern looking one looks to be a very incandescent-like 2700K or so. The first time I plugged it in after receiving it in the mail, I was very surprised at the warm tint, especially since I didn't see any mention of it in the description. Someone should let Energizer/Amazon.com know that that would be a pretty big selling point since a lot of folks don't seem to like 5500K+ bluish LEDs lighting their way to the bathroom at night. I know I don't.

This photo I stole off of Amazon.com is pretty much how it looks in real life as far as light quality goes:

energizerenlplfpa2.jpg

...but like LEDAdd1ct mentioned, neither is really that bright, especially the 2700K one, which is the much nicer one IMO in both physical looks and light quality.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!, I especially like that 2nd one. I got a target gift card, I think I'll grab a couple of these.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Do they stay on in dark because of the phcell? If it had a motion sensor and timer I'd be all over them :)

bandits1

Newly Enlightened
Do they stay on in dark because of the phcell? If it had a motion sensor and timer I'd be all over them :)

Energizer does make a night/path light with a motion sensor:

86799042.jpg

...I have one of these, too. The motion sensor and the ambient light sensor both work well - it's in a semi-dark bathroom that has only one window and that window is under a covered porch, but the room is just bright enough during the day that I don't need the path light tripping every time I walk in, and unless it's overcast, it usually doesn't. The light is pretty bright but it's actually a path light so it's supposed to be brighter than your average night light. It's throws a pure white 5000K light.

Recommended if you need a light firing down towards the counter or floor.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stopped by Target yesterday, and while there are plenty of other lighting products and night lights in stock, both Energizer products discussed in this thread have been cleaned out.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who has ever heard of a nightlight with published specs?

I certainly hadn't!

Click here for the goodies.

Pasted:

• Final Product Dimensions (Height x Width x Depth): H - 92mm W - 38mm D - 35mm
  • Number of LEDs: 1
  • Light Output (Lumens): 3
  • CCT - Light Color (correlated color temperature): 2800
  • CRI - Color Accuracy (color rendering index): 76
  • Energy (Watts): 0.24
  • Power Source: Ac Outlet

I currently have nine of these. It's an addiction. But now I don't need to turn on any lights at night, or grab a flashlight.

Look, no batteries!

Nine * 0.24 = 2.16 watts

At eight hours a day (again, a rough estimate), we get:

Link

Pretty cool, huh?

The two cooler white ones out of the batch are going to my sister.

She'll love them, and won't know or care about the tint.

But the 2800K they state is pretty close. I'd say maybe 25% of them (a horribly rough estimate) are a cooler shade of blue.

Only people like us would care, though. :)

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had these locked up in a storage shed for three months and installed them around my home.

They continue to use virtually no electricity, and with about a dozen of them, some doubled up on the same outlet (one on top, one below), I don't even need a flashlight to navigate at night. :)

Enlightened
Energizer does make a night/path light with a motion sensor:
86799042.jpg
...I have one of these, too. The motion sensor and the ambient light sensor both work well - it's in a semi-dark bathroom that has only one window and that window is under a covered porch, but the room is just bright enough during the day that I don't need the path light tripping every time I walk in, and unless it's overcast, it usually doesn't. The light is pretty bright but it's actually a path light so it's supposed to be brighter than your average night light. It's throws a pure white 5000K light. Recommended if you need a light firing down towards the counter or floor.
I bought one of these and one of the designer path lights. The light is much closer in tint to my cool white flashlights than my 5000K Cree or Luxeon Rebels.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting.

Not surprising, though. I wouldn't think Energizer would tightly bin
something in a mass market product like this one.

Are these 5mm or power LED?

Enlightened
Interesting. Not surprising, though. I wouldn't think Energizer would tightly bin something in a mass market product like this one. Are these 5mm or power LED?
The specs on Energizer's site say it's supposed to be 5000K so that's why I was a bit disappointed to find that it isn't. As far as the LED is concerned it's hidden behind a mostly opaque diffuser and there's no way to tell without opening it.