PVC MR16 Flashlight.

speedywheelz123

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am new to custom flashlights and want your opinion on a conceptual flashlight I want to make. So my plan is to make a flashlight out of 2 inch pvc and an mr16 bulb. I will use a 6 watt (supposed to be 500 lumen which i doubt). The mr16 bulb will hopefully (carefully) be glued into a coupler that joins with the pipe which does have an inside diameter of 2 inches (the same as mr16 bulbs). My main concern is that the pvc will either melt or cause the bulb to overheat. It is only 6 watts so idk.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting idea. I would suggest that you use CPVC since it has a higher MAWT (max. allowable working temp.) than PVC. 140F for PVC and 200F for CPVC.

speedywheelz123

Newly Enlightened
Yes the plan is to use a heat withstanding pvc. So I take the led emitters should be fine with out a full heat sink body.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are using LEDs, use a copper tube, since LEDs will cook themselves and die if not heatsinked well (assuming high power LEDs). If its an array of 5mm LEDs, then you'll be fine.

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
Copper tube or pipe as used in plumbing might work a lot better than PVC, it isn't so much that 6W is a lot, its that it has to have someplace to go and PVC doesn't dissipate heat well.