LD12 or similar with more flood like beam?

ToddM

Enlightened
Don't get me wrong I'm all for the great tight beam super bright stuff, but frankly many times around the house, working on the truck etc. it's just nice to have something with a wide beam with good even light.

I really like the LD12 PD22 etc. size/format and I did just get an LD01 and I really like the wide beam on it.

I love the wide even flood of the LD01, and it's a great little keychain light, but I'd like to find something with a similar beam shape in a 1-2 AA, or even a 4AA model for just around the house/garage close up work where wide even light is needed with a lot of runtime. Preferably something that's not hundreds of dollars so I can buy a couple and leave them around the house/garage, it doesn't have to be indestructible. Something like a pelican mitylite with a bit more oomph behind it and maybe a high/low mode.

I know a person can put a diffuser on the other fenix lights but the factory ones don't look like they'd be durable/stay on, and typically most of the ones I've see cut a lot of light output.

As an aside a headlamp that has a similar wide flood would be nice, seems many of these these days are again bright tight narrow beams great for hiking, crappy for up close work even on low they are a tight beam.

I did some searching but for the most part only found info on diffusers, which most people seem to find serious short comings with.

Thanks in advance

Todd

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There's a diffusing material in the marketplace that is only supposed to cut 3-4% output from the light. A small XM-L light should give a wider beam, and at a lower price range, Shinigbeam's Caveman could work, but it does have a larger head which could mean a narrower beam.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree on XML in a small head... Quark 2xAA XML w/optional 1xAA body, or EagleTac D25A clicky XML.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Eagletac D25a. Very small head with orange peal shallow reflector and an XM-L. This light gives a very wide floody beam.