Fenix LD12 (S2) EDC Report

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I have only been using the Fenix LD12 (S2) for a few days but I'm already really impressed with it.
It's been my new EDC flashlight since I got it 5 days ago and has replaced my Nova X1 that I EDC'ed for just over one year.

I'm a appliance repair tech by trade. The LD12 will be carried in my front left pocket next to my wallet and be used daily.

There are just so many things I have found to be so perfect about this light for me.

This morning I was using it to check out a washer when it fell off the edge of the washer and into a tub full of water.
It's still going strong and even looked kind of cool in there so I snapped a couple photos of it, lol...

washer1.jpg

washer2.jpg

awyeah

Enlightened
Nice report. Personally, I enjoy reading about real-world scenarios.

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered one today...glad to see I can clean it up when it gets dirty!

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I used the Fenix LD12 well replacing the battery in my sons car this morning.

I clean up the old battery and the area around it the best I could with baking soda and water to neutralize any battery acid, but I'm sure some battery acid still got on the flashlight.

Here is a photo of it sitting on top of the new battery after it was installed.

carbattery1.jpg

Here I'm washing the flashlight off in a mix of baking soda and water to neutralize any battery acid I got on it.
I could see spots on the flashlight foam up as I washed it off so I'm sure it had a bit of acid on it.

carbattery2.jpg

After rinsing it off under some fresh water it looked good as new.

carbattery3.jpg

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Just a little update on my LD12 S2.
It's only about 4 1/2 months old, but I don't think a day has gone by that it don't get used.

During the work days it gets used a lot. I have EDC it in my front left pocket next to my wallet.
I had wondered how the side button would hold up getting rubbed in my pocket, but the button shows no signs of wear.

As much as I love the LD12 S2 it has now started to collect dust because I have replaced it with another light, the LD12 G2. :D

I was excited when I heard my favorite EDC flashlight got a upgrade with the XP-G2 LED.

Did not think the Fenix LD12 could get any better, but it did with the G2 version.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356920

Last edited:

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
So how is the difference in throw? I have been carrying the S2 version for several months and really like it ,but would consider the G2 if it had a noticeable increase .

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I have not done a lot of testing for throw yet, but I was out with them last night in a ice storm shinning it on my fence.

The specs for distance only show 1m more between the S2 & G2, but on high with a new battery in each one it sure seemed like the G2 would light up the fence better. The hot spot on the G2 is a little larger then the S2 and it's a lot more defined.

The spill outside the hot spot on the G2 is also brighter then on my S2. I just love the size and functions of the LD12. It suites my needs perfectly.

Not sure if you could really expect much more distance out of the G2 then the S2, but I would say the G2 seems to do a little better lighting up things at the same distance then the S2 if that makes any sense.

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
Yep, makes perfect sense. Thanks . Now I got to scrape a little "cents" together.

Latest posts