S2-Cu Baton (Copper with magnetic tail piece)

coh20002

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Aug 21, 2023
Messages
2
Location
Houston, Tx
This all-copper light uses r 2 x CR123A batteries.
Purchased new and I have tried Olight batteries and Surefire in pairs.
I put new batteries in and in 6 months they fail and the light has not been used more that 5 minutes during that time.
It just sits on a bedroom nitestand.
Works fine at first but fails to work at all after a few months with no use.
I'm wondering if the magnetic end cap is causing this problem?
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 71

LRJ88

Enlightened
Joined
May 4, 2014
Messages
652
Am i understanding it right that you've tried multiple cells over those 6 months, not that you've had the same cells in for 6 months and they've only lasted 5 minutes? If it's less than 5 years old i'd send it in for warranty work then.
 

coh20002

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Aug 21, 2023
Messages
2
Location
Houston, Tx
Am i understanding it right that you've tried multiple cells over those 6 months, not that you've had the same cells in for 6 months and they've only lasted 5 minutes? If it's less than 5 years old i'd send it in for warranty work then.
I just keep this light in the bedroom and don't ever really use it.
New batteries in and it works fine. Wait 6 months and the light won't come on.
I have to replace the batteries and it will then work.
It's 6 years old now I believe.
 

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 31, 2015
Messages
5,183
I'm wondering if the magnetic end cap is causing this problem?
No.

the parasitic drain is caused by the electronic switch, it is constantly using power

You could change to a USB rechargeable 18650, so you dont have to buy a charger.. the electronic switch in your Olight will still drain the battery.. but recharging costs less than buying new throw away batteries

btw, dual batteries are not as safe as single batteries, I encourage you to use one 18650, not two CR123.

If you want to keep using your Olight, I suggest you get in the habit of recharging the 18650 battery every 3 months.

You could also consider buying a new light with lower, parasitic drain, aka standby drain. Here is a light you might find convenient, it has built in charging. Be sure to buy the 18650 battery too. Or, if you have more CR123 batteries to get rid of, the light does accept two of them, the same as your Olight, but with much lower parasitic drain.

fwiw, the drain rate in your light is unusually high, it is Not Normal..
you could try telling Olight that your light kills the batteries faster than normal, maybe they will offer to repair the light, or suggest some other options for a light that sits unused for 6 months at a time
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top