Is the Surefire Saint no longer produced?

dougie

Enlightened
I've just ordered a Surefire Saint to replace my Minimus which the wife has permanently borrowed! However, when I looked at the Surefire site I couldn't see the Saint listed? I assume therefore that the Saint is discontinued and that some dealers will still have some Saints in stock but once they are sold there won't be anymore? I think it's a shame really as one of the things which sold me on the Saint is the ability to use either AA or Lithium CR123 batteries. The current line up of Surefire Head torches no longer give you that option as they only use a single dedicated battery type. :sigh:

RNDDUDE

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it indeed is discontinued. There may be units available at various retailers/distributers.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I like the profile of the Saint/Minimus better than the Maximus ..

But there are a few real big issues with the Saint ...

1. Beam artifacts. On high, these are very noticeable and create a 12ft line of white light across the ground at my feet even with emitter pointed forward. I don't need a perfect beam, but the beam quality on the Saint is just ridiculous, with man-sized shadows and prismic refraction.

2. Inefficient. Its just not that battery efficient. Could be vastly improved if they'd just get rid of that infinite variable ring dial UI. IMO would be better more like the Invictus ... OFF - Moonlight - L - M - H - Turbo ...

3. Parasitic drain. Not all units have this, but mine does and runs batteries dry within a few weeks of being left in storage. This is the least of the Saints problems.

4. One handed operation. It's not, though it says it is. If you try to twist the UI ring with one hand, the whole light will swivel and you'll end up illuminating your nose or forehead by the time you get the right lumens .. Then you have to re-direct it forward. Needs to be tighter, maybe even have a 'gear' mechanism where it sort of clicks into place in a certain orientation.

5. Emitter. I think its still using a Luxeon K2, at least mine is. This emitter is outdated and less efficient than newer ones, and provides no durability benefit. Lets get an XP-G or XM-L in there.

6. Output. 100 lumens is okay, I dont need blazing 500 lumens strapped to my forehead. I'd like a Turbo output of 160 lumens or so, which it should be capable of without heat becoming a problem. 100 lumens is fine for High, but there ARE times when the extra 60 lumens can make the difference.

Just some thoughts.

The battery housing and overall design of it is awesome.