Need advice for headlamp

LightChucker

Enlightened
I am in need of a good headlamp, and I would appreciate your thoughts regarding the following requirements:

<ul type="square"> [*]Will be used for close work - not walking around. [*]Needs a good strap system to keep it in place on my head. [*]Easy to change position. [*]Bright flood, rather than spot. [*]Prefer LED. [/list]

Thanks for your help!

Chuck

kev1-1

Enlightened
Sorry!! Princeton Tec (PT) Aurora. This is a three LED (i.e in the same brightness league as the Opalec Newbeam) headlamp. It is nice and compact with the 3 x AAA fitting in to the LED unit so as to avoid the need for a seperate battery holder on the back of the head. It has 5 brightness settings (high, middle, low, flashing, rapid flashing) and will run for hours. I think it makes a good general purpose light for lighting up anything within arms reach. Hope that helps...I wrote it a bit quick as I am on the way out!

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I love my Aurora, it is very small, very light and will provide more than enough light for close work. It swivels down so you can adjust the angle as well. I use mine for camping and reading in bed so I don't disturb my wife. You can usually get them in the low to mid $20 range.

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
I'll throw in another vote for the Aurora. I have one and a Zipka, and the PT gets way more use. Plus the low light level should be better for the close up stuff.

DasFX

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wear glasses, then the Black Diamond Moonlight may be a better choice. The Moonlight runs on 3 AAAs and can use NiMH, alkalines, or Lithium AAAs IF they ever come out with them. The Moonlight Pro runs on 3 AAs and has the same battery options (type), although in AA. The Pro is harder to find. They are both 4 LED and very bright. Battery pack is on the rear and a very small head in front. It angles up and down, and is shielded from lighting you eyeballs and such.

I have a Moonlight and really like it.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Chuck,

More options...

Petzel makes some good head lamps. I have a Tikka and it works well for close up work. They now have a Tikka Plus that is a little brighter. It has 4 LED's instead of 3.

I also have a Streamlight EDIT: this should be the Trident not the Septor. The Septor has 7 LED's and no bulb. It is a combination 3 LED and bulb. It is a little bulkier than the Tikka. I keep it in the truck as a "just in case" light. It functions with 1 LED, 3 LED's, or bulb.

I also have an ElektroLumens head lamp. It is a little heavy on the head, but I found that it produces a great flood light if you take the lens out.

I was going to suggest that you visit your local REI store. They have most of the head lamps out on display and you can try them out. The problem is the closest REI store is in St Louis.

Tom

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I'm with CB on the Moonlight. Very waterproof with 4 leds laterally will prevent shadows on your close up work. If you can get your hands on the Pro, it will burn for (something like) 200 hours on alkalines and 400 on lithium AA. Almost like load it and forget it.

rone7

Newly Enlightened
I have the Petzl tika plus and like it very much. The tika plus has the swivel head, and the tika doesn't. My tika plus
replaced a petzl micro that gave me years of great service...bad rings in beam but a good light. The plus is new so it usually goes for about $32.00, some places have the aurora for 19.00. The tika is the same size as the aurora but has one more led for a little brighter beam. Great beam, no hole or artifacts. In the reviews I read about them many prefered the tika switch.
The earlier runs of the aurora had some flakey switches. If you buy an aurora you should buy it new. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Azreal911

Enlightened
Oh and the differences between the tikka plus and the aurora is that tikka plus is more friendly to people wearing glasses cause there's a lip under the leds to sheild the light going straight down to your face. and the switch is recessed which is much harder to be activated when packed away in a backpack.

rlhess

Enlightened
My two sons and I each have Septors. My early Aurora had a little glitch in the light output on medium and low (at least). I don't know if it's fixed--made it ennoying for reading. The Septor is about the same light output.

Check on my username and I did a mini-review with numbers of these two.

Cheers,

Richard

83Venture

Enlightened
Saw a special on the Solar Powered Helios aircraft last night, the ground crew was using Tikka's to read data sheets and perform ground checks.

LightChucker

Enlightened
You guys have been great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. That really helps me to narrow the scope of my search. I won't be ordering right away, so if you think of anything else please continue to post your ideas.

Chuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chuck, be sure and let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

I'm getting ready for some extended travel and am taking 3 different headlamps...4, if Princeton-Tec releases their Yukon HL LED in time for me to pick up one.

Each headlamp I've tried has it's own longsuits and shortcomings. So if one doesn't work, try another, afterall us flashaholics need to find things we don't like with our lights to help us justify buying more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC

LightChucker

Enlightened
I finally made a decision on the headlamp, but I don't think I like it. I ordered the Black Diamond Moonlight Pro. It just doesn't put out enough light. In the dark, it would be fine, but I wanted to use it to illuminate the dark shadows of machinery in a well lit room.

Does anyone know if Eastern Mountain Sports is good about taking returns?

Chuck

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Chuck,
Hi, I haven't seen you around lately. I recommend the Septor. I have several head lamps and I think the Septor will suit you very well.