Interest in a LSH-P w/ long throw Fraen LP Optic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of you have already heard about the new Fraen "Low Profile" Optic. This optic focuses the beam of the Luxeon Star LED into a tighter beam that projects further. It also mixes the tint of the beam which reduces tint variations.

Here is a proto next to the Waldo LSH-P. They look identical at first...

fraenvsstandard.jpg

Until you power them up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lpvsnx05c.jpg

Peter

BobG

Newly Enlightened
If you are asking me if I would buy one (or two or three) the answer is yes - most definitely.

Oh, and while you're at it stick an 'R' in there ... sort of a super premium special edition.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interest in a LSH-P w/ long throw Fraen LP Opt

I hate it when he teases us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
But...I would say yes as well.

Mike

harrydog

Newly Enlightened
I'd probably buy one, depending on the cost.
About how much further is the throw?

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, yes count me in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been playing with the proto now for about 2 weeks. At first it took some getting used to. All the light is focused into a fairly tight beam with very little sidespill. But I tell you, this beam is fun. It's gives me a "light saber" feeling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We took it out to the country where there is some good dark. I was lighting up buildings from over a 100 feet away. The dust in the air made the beam visible as it reached out into the distance. In the city, effective range is reduced of course because of the higher background light. However, this light is very handy for walking the dog, shining in the back yard, etc. When we go to visit friends, it works quite well for reading street signs and most house numbers.

I also noticed the beam is whiter than normal. I asked Scott at Fraen about this and he said they are mixing the beam to even out the tint with this optic.

Compared to my standard LSH-P, the center spot does project noticably further and is larger. I like the reach that the LP Fraen provides. When I carry it together with my Arc-AAA, I have both a task flood and a long reach light in a small volume.

Of course, this light is not for everyone. There is definately something to be said for having both a center spot and a nice sidespill flood all in the same light.

Peter

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
I'd take one (or two). Can you put a nice 3-watter in there? I think we have plenty by now.

Lexus

Enlightened
I like the combo of hotspot/side spill of my LSH-P. When walking at night I need that side spill for peripheral vision, don't want to move the light around so much to see things around me. It might be brighter with the Fraen LP optic but IMHO it's more useful with the standard NX05 optic, just my opinion of course...
I probably pass this one and save for the LS4, don't have any money for flashlights at the moment... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
could I send in my LSH-P and have a Fraen LP installed? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I would have to say maybe. The LSH-P is already very expensive. I already have an LSH-P and LSL-ST. This new version looks to me like it might have too tight of a beam. the main advantage I find with my ARC products is the flood like beam which is better for close range illumination than my Sure-fires.

lightbulb

Newly Enlightened
I would buy it. I think they should be coupled with the new Luxeon III's as they are suppose to be close to or equal to S ranked high domes at lower spec'd currents and not that much more expensive

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What i *really* want to know is, how does it compare to the reflectors you have been developing for the next generation ARCs?

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
diddy808 said:
could I send in my LSH-P and have a Fraen LP installed? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I like diddy's Idea. Sorta like and upgrade program? I would maybe buy one. But I would definatly buy the lense optionm and cost to upgrade it. That would be cool.

gorkon

Newly Enlightened
Yes, count this newbie in. Seems like a good long throw walking companion.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely like the Fraen optics. The beam is narrow at close range but it is an expanding cone so it lights up a fairly large area at a distance. Although it may not be as utilitarian as the beam from the NX-05 optics, the beam from the Fraen optics definitely has its uses.

If the price is right, I would probably buy another LSH-P to have one with the Fraen optics. Also, I probably wouldn't buy another regular LSH-P since I already have enough of those.

I suspect that this would be a good way both to drum up some extra LSH sales and to keep your customers happy while we all wait for the LS4-LS5.

Seems like a win-win situation to me,
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.