XP-G R5 soldering

matt1985

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone I am new to the site and happy to join.
I've been a solarforce collector for a couple years now, and have been recently supplying employees with these lights equipped with either an XP-G R5 or the XML both single modes. Well lately I have been encountering the solder that holds the circuit board on to the module back to be very weak and let go. I've tried to re solder them using the sand paper, flux, and iron method but am not having any luck. Is there a simpler way to this that'll turn out strong and nice looking?

thanks for the help everyone.

H-Man

Enlightened
What are you getting hot with the iron? If you aren't getting both the driver and the pill hot, you won't have a good joint.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
H-Man is right, you'll need to get the pill hot enough for the solder to wet or there won't be a joint. You might need a higher power iron.

(btw, from the thread title, I thought you wanted to reflow a XP-G, which is a bit more difficult)

H-Man

Enlightened
I had the same problem when I had a burnt tip. If the tip looks burnt, chances are it won't solder well (I had to use a 100 watt iron to solder LEDs because the lower power irons had burnt tips)