making my own and not buying already made (new guy!!)

chevytrucks84

Newly Enlightened
in new to the flashlight modding world and have a few questions, i have 2 mag lights (2c & 2d) im wondering if someone can teach me what crees and drivers i need. i have been modding different things with leds and i can build my own stuff, im just wondering what to get and why, i like to learn! i know i can go buy already done stuff but that dont help me learn. i can make heat sinks and stuff but it looks like more than just making a sink glueing the cree and wiring it to the switch thanks for any help and any info. Mitch

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
Go to dealextreme.com buy a bunch of cree xml's on 16mm bases. (t6 or u2 it doesn't matter). Them get some of their 17mm 2800ma 5 mode drivers(they have a bunch of stars on them). Then you need to get some sort of mount/heatsink to put it all on. (some people buy them some make them). Find away the get 3-4.5 volts worth of batteries in the tube. Solder it all together and Bob is your uncle.

I think 3 nimh sub c cells will fit in the 2C mag easily. The 2D is a little more challenging without steping up to lithium batteries.

I've only modded a few mags myself but they've all turned out great. the XML/2800ma driver is my favorite combo right now. it's cheap and easy.

chevytrucks84

Newly Enlightened
Thanks GT. I already looked i to all the other threads listed above and it was not makeing sense. Ill lookinto the stuff you have listed. I need more then the batteries in the light your saving?

yazovyet

Enlightened
dxcom: the OP did say he had a 2C and 2D, your link uses a 3D.

also did the first 2 links on dxcom's linked page not work for anyone else?

chevytrucks84

Newly Enlightened
I need to get more than 3 volts into out of the light body.

Whats the driver do. Give you different brightness. What about the mini puck driver.

Mitch

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The driver is the circuit that goes between the battery and the LED. It can give modes, but the main use is to change the battery voltage to the LED voltage.

Here's a single mode boost circuit from DX, it should work well for 2 cells. You'll still need the LED and heatsink. The micropuck does work, but IMO it is a bit pricey (I'm assuming you meant the micropuck).

If you want throw with the DX driver, I'd suggest a smaller die LED like the Cree XP-E.

chevytrucks84

Newly Enlightened
yea i ment the micropuck, i need to get the xpe thats on a star already, that one looks the easiest to use. where on the driver do i hook the switch or to the led. i see there is only 2 wires on the board. is one an in and the other an out. thanks Mitch

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a few quick notes about modding your two-cell lights:

Seeing as how you have two-cell lights you'll need boost drivers. There are buck drivers, but, buck drivers are for situations where the battery voltage is higher than the forward voltage of the emitter. Boost drivers are used when the battery voltage is less than the forward voltage of the emitter. As a general rule of thumb, you do NOT want to power a boost driver without a load on it, whether its a resistor or an emitter because you will burn it out quickly by doing so. Buck drivers are much less prone to being damaged from powering them without a load. The emitter forward voltage can be found on the spec sheet from the manufacturer or from the retail seller you are buying from.

As far as how to wire up that driver, the two wires go to the LED, red to positive, etc. Take a look at the photos and at the back side photo in particular. The brass colored circle in the middle is the positive from the battery while the brass outer ring is negative. You wire these to the switch of the flashlight so that the switch cuts power to the driver. You do not want the switch to be between the driver and the emitter in any configuration that I can think of.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most of the drivers you get are a round board. The wires coming out are for the LED (red to positive as usual). The bottom side of the driver is for the power input. The center round pad is the positive input, and the outer rim is the ground. For a maglite mod, you'll have to solder wires to each of the pads as the input wires as PCC mentioned.

chevytrucks84

Newly Enlightened
well i placed an order for the drivers and the xpe's we will see how this project turns out!! thanks gunner12 for the help now to see if i can do it!