4-7 Malestrom X10 - flat top or button top?

Blue Angel

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a Malestrom X10. I was going to purchase the 4-7 26650 cell with it, but the postal service will no longer ship Li-Ion battery cells in international shipments (I'm in Canada). So now I'm looking at getting my own cells.

I came across two 26650 cells, one is a button top:

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/2-pcs-kingkong-inr26650e-raisedtop-4000mah-liion-battery-p-370.html

and the other os a flat top:

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/2-pcs-kingkong-inr26650e-4000mah-liion-battery-p-369.html

Which of these two cells would be the best choice for the X10, or does it matter? The cost difference is minimal, so that does not play into my decision. Is there another 26650 cell I should consider? Thanks!

EDIT: The main reason for my confusion is that I've seen several pictures of the 4-7 cell, some showing flat top and others showing button top. Also, two types of button top are shown, one narrow and another wide. Help! :)

Last edited:

JermsMalibu

Newly Enlightened
My 26650 batteries are the wide button tops, but looking down in the light, it looks like flat tops shouldn't be an issue. The positive post on the light has a small nipple sticking up on top of the already raised post so I don't think you'd have an issue with flat top batteries. There are some IC chips down there on the board, but I think they're below the normal post so they'd definitely not be in the way with the nipple sticking out even more.

...looking at the batteries you posted, the "flat tops" look a lot like the ones I got from 47s, and I don't have any issues, so I think you'll be fine with them. And they're even the cheaper ones (with the same mAh ratings) so that's a plus.

Blue Angel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info! After getting a reply from I-O it seems the KK 26650's are not protected, so I'm now searchinig for a decent protected cell.

Up All Night

Enlightened
Thanks for the info! After getting a reply from I-O it seems the KK 26650's are not protected, so I'm now searchinig for a decent protected cell.

Check Warriors and wonders, they're in B.C. I picked up a couple from them due to the shipping issue as well. Click on the 4sevens link. They are of the flat top variety, the picture shows a button top.(reference only) Good price, shipping varies from province to province.