Anybody understand remote pressure switches?

wahoowad

Newly Enlightened
I bought a single mode Ultrafire 501B and this Superfire pressure pad that does work. But the Superfire remote is pretty cheesy - does not have any kind of direct button to push and the light output fluctuates while using it. So I disassembled the tailcap and swapped in this higher quality remote switch. It all fit up perfectly, yet none of the 3 buttons on the new Ultrafire switch will turn on the flashlight. I can't figure out why and all contacts look good. :shakehead

The Ultrafire 501B only has one mode. Is the new switch I am trying to use only good for a 3 or 5 mode light? I've never fooled around with changes like this so don't know???

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could take a multi meter and set it to the continuity test mode, or rig up something simple with a light bulb, battery and wire on your own to test continuity.
Use it to make sure that the switches work the way that you think that they do.
Write it down and draw diagrams, the simplest things can get confusing and bass-ackwards if you reverse one little thing in your head.

Anyways, for all we know currently, one maker wired their switch differently than the other. Or you've got a contact that isn't making Contact due to the different brands machining a little bit differently, but you have to eliminate variables and take notes and you will zero in on the problem.
Good luck.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I've rebuilt both these types in the past, they really are rubbish quality. often the wires that come out of the cable at the tail cap end aren't actually soldered to anything. The reliability can be improved greatly by resoldering all the joints and reinforcing everything with extra layers of heat shrink.

timbo32

Newly Enlightened
Wow, DX has some mis leading info, that's not actually a Surefire switch. Thats a cheap Chinese switch, that works with surefire flashlights. DX doesn't sell anything Surefire. You can't even acquire a new Surefire remote for under $50...and that ones got a tailcap to...I don't think soo.

Last edited:

timbo32

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I mis read that, I thought it was labled Surefire, not Superfire...my bad

timbo32

Newly Enlightened
Still, those are pretty easy to fix, I built a custom dual pressure switch for light and laser, using a Solarforce tape-switch. It's not hard...are you any good at soldering? If so, get some heat shrink tubes, cut the switch off, and re-solder it.