Both of my Zebralights went Bad. Ugh.

scott

Enlightened
This past October I had to return my H51w to Zebralight for warranty repair. The light was draining the battery within a couple days even though the light was being used only on its lowest setting for just a few minutes a night. A week ago, my SC50w started doing the same thing. Since I've owned it for two years, it is no longer under warranty, though. I'm currently waiting for Customer Service to get back to me. I hope I can get it repaired (even if I have to pay for it.) This is all very frustrating and troubling.

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Interesting that's it's happened to both. I've been considering a zebralight due to the positive comments they get, but I would be interested to know of any other problems people have had with them or are they generally quite bullet proof with regards to reliability and build quality?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious how long it took the first one to be repaired and returned, and what the problem turned out to be?

Tulip Bash, do a search on Zebralight+reliability... there are a couple polls out there, although more headlamp specific.

scott

Enlightened
I think it took about 6 weeks. There was nothing in the return envelope to indicate the problem.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear of the troubles with the same brand of flashlight in more than one instance.
Maybe you should try another brand for better luck.

Last edited:

LEDburn

Enlightened
That is quite strange and sad to head as two lights must really be a confidence killer.
Do you have the means to test the standby current draw and current draw on the different levels?
Also, are the batteries primaries or rechargable? If rechargable, are they performing as they should in other lights?
Just wondering if it is a battery/charger issue or an actual fault with your lights.

scott

Enlightened
That is quite strange and sad to head as two lights must really be a confidence killer.
Do you have the means to test the standby current draw and current draw on the different levels?
Also, are the batteries primaries or rechargable? If rechargable, are they performing as they should in other lights?
Just wondering if it is a battery/charger issue or an actual fault with your lights.

No. I can't test current draw. I CAN tell you it's not the rechargeable batteries (eneloops.) I've switched them around to different lights and they work fine.

This is a bit upsetting. The Zebralight headlamps are incredibly versatile when used as just a flashlight or as a headlamp. The flashlight with it's side-mounted button is handy around the house. Fit and finish is excellent. The UI and level spacing is as good as it gets. Since getting these two lights, there have been no other lights that have even caught my interest. I'm just hoping Zebralight will fix my light (even if I have to pay for the repair.) It would be nice if they would acknowledge the problem (if it's indeed widespread,) and then solve it so I can continue to buy and recommend their lights in the future.

g.p.

Enlightened
First I've heard of a ZL having this issue. Would be interesting to hear if others are having the same problems.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I'm sending my H51 back. It discharges extremely rapidly, with very little runtime, whether running or not. It is brand new. Sigh.

speedsix

Enlightened
I had an H51 that went bad after the first day or two of light use. It got hot fast and would start to only come on in ultra low low. The switch would activate in my pocket far too easily as well but that was not a defect, just a design flaw.

It was my first last and probably only Zebralight. I had a 100% failure rate with my sole ZL example. I know that is not a representative sample but it was such a lemon that I had no interest in trying my luck again.

redorblack

Newly Enlightened
I had to send one of my Zebralights back in twice for repairs, once to China. Rather annoying experience when the first time I got it back it exhibited exactly the same symptoms I sent it in for. After getting it back from China it's worked great for a couple of years with a lot of hard drops, me breaking out the lens, and complete immersion in coolant and oil multiple times because I dropped it.. even with the lens broken out it keeps on ticking. I'm curious just how I might replace the lens on my SC60 along with the reflector... I should email them to see if I can get parts for it.

scott

Enlightened
Original poster here. I got an email from Zebralight last night (which was a Sunday.) Anyway— it's going to cost me $15, but at least I can get it fixed.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats... I've read another post or two that indicated ZL was improving it's customer service and would repair it's lights outside of warranty for a nominal fee. Also seems that they might be able service US customers from their new? facility in TX soon. All great news if true.

Where are they are they asking you ship for your repair? And if you can remember, please let us know how the repair went (turn-around time).

Thanks for the update.

scott

Enlightened
I'm sending it to Irving, TX (but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not going to be forwarded to China.) The last time it took about six weeks for return.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, least you don't have pay for the int'l shipping, and take the risk of loss, as some have above.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC51w is intermitently exhibiting similar behavior. It worked fine for so long, and was my favorite EDC. Now it will sometime only come on very low and/or drain an Eneloop very quickly. Sometimes when it comes on only very low, the batttery will still have a full charge left and work fine in other lights. Guess I'll have to email ZL and request repair also.

Knock on wood, my H51w is still working fine. It did yeoman's duty during the twelve days of Sandy blackout, and was great cold weather backpacking up in the Adirondaks.

Thrifty