Another version of ThruNite Ti - TiS

Dubois

Enlightened
Took me a while to work out the difference between this new version, the TiS, and the Ti. Both have XP-E emitters, but it seems "S" stands for single mode - 60 lumens, so no Firefly on this.

Seen on the Thrunite eBay UK page as New Launch.

Dubois

Enlightened
Well, that's not a problem - just buy the Ti - it's still available (or the Ti2, with the new XP-G2 emitter). The single mode seems to be another option for those that think firefly is of no use.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
- Also, maybe it could be an experiment to gauge the interest, if any, in a single mode AAA model.

- perhaps it could be a cost-cutting measure since I guess the single mode AAA would no longer require that metal tab that the two stage AAA Ti uses

- and adding another AAA model could be a way for Thrunite to use up the remaining inventory of XPE for their AAA models.

The TiS is listed at this moment, too, on the U.S. ebay site.

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
No and No and No.

Quite obviously the low/high mode u-shaped switch connector tab thingy has always been the Ti's downfall. Tighten the head too much too many times and low mode disappears. Pull out the tab to restore low mode too many times and the tab eventually weakens back to a high mode only state. In addition, put in a AAA battery that is too small and you only get a low mode, with the battery not being long enough to trigger the high mode. A HUGE portion of Ti customers who don't frequent CPF don't even understand these problems exists and think their light is broken. It's a great concept functionally, but ultimately a flawed design.

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Well, I'm also one of those can't understand this decision. Ti's were already simple as one mode lights, no twisting etc for mode changes, but of course with a wear prone design. I were expecting an UI like the one on T10's, with a simpler mechanism but three modes, firefly, 3 lms, 60 lms.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plenty of other AAA lights to buy no big deal as the Thrunite is ok but nothing special at all,only had mine a month and already stopped using it.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Ti has been the small edc I had been carrying on my car key fob after a worn out ITP A3. Well, Ti is softer in anodization or the heavy knurling may be acting softer at the edges, I don't know. But the best part with Ti is that it has a throwy XP-E and this emitter has always been very good in terms of tint. I simply love my Ti because of its beam pattern. Ti2 is more like the ITP A3. So, I can say I find enhancements over XP-E Ti reasonable as many would like to see this light with an XPE or better with an XPE2. I still would like to have a more reliable mode switching mechanism on my light.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
I had the issue with losing high mode after going from a Durloop to a slightly shorter battery (and I mean slightly - prob. 1/4 mm difference). Still, it's a great little light when it works. I wish they would come up with a better switch design and keep the dimensions the same.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a tiS in the mail Friday, I like the two modes better but I do love single mode for friends and family. This one is going on my spare keys.

grant_lee

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if it's safe to use this flashlight with a lithium powered primary (Energizer Ultimate) which delivers 1.7V ? The included manual only refers to NiMH and Alkaline.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Does anyone know if it's safe to use this flashlight with a lithium powered primary (Energizer Ultimate) which delivers 1.7V ? The included manual only refers to NiMH and Alkaline.

Wouldnt recommend them, mine got VERY warm in a matter of seconds. Maybe other users can verify if it is "permissible" and not "forbidden" as the chinglish manuals state?

Dubois

Enlightened
You willl be fine with a lithium primary. The spec for the Ti is the same - 0.9v-1.5v, but I've given lots of those away as gifts, and always include a lithium primary cell for non-flashaholics. No problems reported in the past year.

@dc38 - are you sure you aren't using a 10440 rechargeable cell?

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
You willl be fine with a lithium primary. The spec for the Ti is the same - 0.9v-1.5v, but I've given lots of those away as gifts, and always include a lithium primary cell for non-flashaholics. No problems reported in the past year.

@dc38 - are you sure you aren't using a 10440 rechargeable cell?

Quite sure...I bought a whole bunch of tis to give to coworkers, and decided to test one with a 10440...it went bright, dim, then POOF! The e lithium cells get quite warm for anything longer than 7 seconds, which may be longer than most people use a key light for anyway. I use eneloops. The light sees a fair share more use than even my other edc's. Tasks include pumping my tires or looking for stuff in my closet where there isn't a lot of light. I also use it when taking nightly walks; there is a substantial 5 minute stretch of suburban road that is very dark with lots of winding and blind corners...this light paired with a Chapstick cap helps me to be seen by motorists or cyclists.

sandalian

Enlightened
Despite any complaint/minors on this line of product (Ti, Ti2, Tis), in my opinion they're the best AAA flashlight.

I just got a new Tis few days ago in a mail, I gave it to my neighbour and he's happy!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite any complaint/minors on this line of product (Ti, Ti2, Tis), in my opinion they're the best AAA flashlight.

I just got a new Tis few days ago in a mail, I gave it to my neighbour and he's happy!

You are entitled to your opinion but in my book no where near the best AAA light,i would much prefer my Itp A3 any day of the week,i would love the Thrunite more if the ui was say twist right for low and twist left for high.

Leadwind

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a Tis from amzn last week since it was only $8. I'm impressed with the throw from the XP-E.

I had to put my ZL SC52w to H2 to meet/exceed the Tis beam intensity during a backyard test. On L1 and M1 the ZL looked washed out due to its floody beam. It was a great lesson in how luminance and intensity impact perceived performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMETFerg

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the ZLSC52 but now your comment has made me think otherwise since I now have my little Tis.