Would you like to see flashlights made out of any other metals or materials?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most better quality lights are made of aluminum, with some also made of titanium. Titanium is stronger than aluminum, but I've noticed that it seems to get these little scratches all over it even when the light isnt EDC'ed. They are tiny little scratches BTW, but they are noticeable. From a materials perspective, I think its obvious that aluminum is a more desirable material for flashlights because its certainly tough enough for the purpose and its a much better conductor of heat and its lighter. I have 2 Ti lights, and I like them though.

I thought just for the heck of it, maybe a magnesium light would be cool, because its about 60% lighter than aluminum and its a little better conductor of heat than titanium. It would need to be anodized as magnesium is more reactive and more likely to oxidize than aluminum, but with a coating it would be fine.

But here's a crazy thought...... I'd like to have a beryllium flashlight. Its MUCH lighter than aluminum or magnesium, and its the 2nd overall lightest metal element in the universe next to lithium. Its also very strong, hard and tough. By weight, its the best conductor of heat. It's non-magnetic, Its used in ultra-high tech applications, like it was used as the heat shield on the Mercury reentry vehicles. It was made into brakes for Indy cars back in the day. The huge mirror for the new Webb telescope that will be launched into space will be made almost entirely of beryllium because of its extremely high melting temperature, its toughness, and mostly because it can handle temperature extremes from really hot to really cold without deforming or becoming structurally compromised in any way, and because its mega-lightweight. When alloyed with the relatively soft metal copper at only 4% beryllium, it supposedly makes that 96% copper alloy become as hard as spring steel, with much lower electrical resistance and much better thermal conductivity. Its also non-sparking.

The only problem(and its kinda a big one) is that beryllium is somewhat poisonous if you breath beryllium dust during machining processes or sanding or whatever. They say its the most poisonous of the "industrial metals". If its consumed it can cause disease. But people use beryllium copper tools every day, and as long as you dont breath its dust there shouldnt be any problem. Just like lead. You can safely use lead fishing weights, or you can reload lead bullets, etc., as long as you dont breath in its dust or residue and as long as you dont somehow consume it. Beryllium is also very expensive at around $380 per pound. I have a 2 ounce round cast ingot of 99.99% beryllium, and its kind of a dark-ish gray-silver color. I keep it in a glass jar just to keep people in my house happy(just like the 5 grams of uranium 238 and the sodium).

Nonetheless, I think it would be cool to have a coated beryllium light. I just wouldnt want to put it on a grinder or file it while breathing deeply. But to put into perspective that its not as bad as it sounds as far as being dangerous, many of you probably have wives, sisters, mothers, or girlfriends who have emerald or aquamarine jewelry right? Well, emeralds and aquamarine, as well as Morganite and heliodor or the extremely rare gem called red beryl(Bixbite) which is essentially red emerald(only found in Utah), are all in the Beryl family. Beryl is crystallized beryllium, and non-gem quality beryl is the main ore source of beryllium. Also, another more rare and more expensive gemstone is called Alexandrite. Well, Alexandrite is in the Chrysoberyl family, which is made of crystallized beryllium and aluminum oxide. So if its been safe to use as jewelry for thousands of years with nobody dying by wearing it against their skin every day, then a beryllium flashlight shouldnt be a problem!

I wont hold my breath though..... I'd settle for a zirconium flashlight.

What other materials would you like to see used to make a light out of?

Last edited:

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Glocks and several other guns are largely made of special polymers.

White carbon fibre is what I would like for a light.

dougie

Enlightened
I'd like to see more use of carbon fibre in flashlights but of course carbon fibre is no use in heat conduction so is handicapped somewhat in its uses in high performance flashlights. Still with the advances in material design advancing at the rate they are who knows what the future brings in man made materials?

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
Carbon Nanotubes -crazy specific strength, super high electric current density and potentially amazing thermal conduction properties.

BarryG

Enlightened
Damascus makes for a beautiful light but not many are mass produced. Naithawk made one that looked great but was short lived for some reason. I'm sure a few members here have a few if they would want to post pics...

Barry

T45

Enlightened
I'd go for a Tungsten Carbide scratchless flashlight.

That would be cool! I would just like to see a few more stainless steel lights also. Maybe not the best material for heat conduction, but I just like the look and feel.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Theres an advantage and a disadvantage to using tungsten for constructing a light. First of all, you wouldnt be worrying about the little scratches you get with titanium because tungsten is the hardest of all metal elements, and combined with carbon its even harder.

However, tungsten is also one of the top 4 heaviest(most dense) metals, so a tungsten light would weigh somewhere in the range of 5-8 times heavier than an aluminum flashlight!! You wouldnt want to carry an 18650 sized light made of tungsten in your pocket, because your pants would probably be falling down all day!

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theres an advantage and a disadvantage to using tungsten for constructing a light. First of all, you wouldnt be worrying about the little scratches you get with titanium because tungsten is the hardest of all metal elements, and combined with carbon its even harder.

However, tungsten is also one of the top 4 heaviest(most dense) metals, so a tungsten light would weigh somewhere in the range of 5-8 times heavier than an aluminum flashlight!! You wouldnt want to carry an 18650 sized light made of tungsten in your pocket, because your pants would probably be falling down all day!

You could make a light completely out of tungsten (metal, not carbide), then electroplate it with gold. Since Gold and Tungsten have approximately the same density you could pass it off as a solid gold flashlight :twothumbs

While not super exotic, I would like to see more small EDC brass lights on the market (say up to 1x18650 form factor).

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tungsten Carbide is nearly impossible to machine, it must be cast. Threading would be nearly impossible.

I agree it would look very cool, but it's impractical at best.

Personally, I'd like to see more polymers and maybe some ceramic.

T45

Enlightened
Tungsten Carbide is nearly impossible to machine, it must be cast. Threading would be nearly impossible.

CERAMIC!....hmmm :thinking: me like!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would depend on the type of ceramic. Most ceramics dont conduct or dissipate heat hardly at all, which would not work well for LED lights. But there are certain "ceramics" that do tend to conduct heat pretty well, such as certain zirconia ceramics, and if carbon atoms are arranged just the right way it can also conduct heat I believe.

Moonwayman

Newly Enlightened
He he, now that would be nice, you would never scratch it. I bet heat and machining would prevent us from getting one though. I'll second the request for magnesium.

I must admit, I am tired of aluminum though, drop it and it dents.......rrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
One problem with magnesium :D Can it be made without creating an uncontrollable burn? And can it be practical to use without accidentally causing a fire made from the light being hot? I don't know much about ignition temperatures of magnesium but it would be interesting to see one made out of it.

I'd personally like to see a martensite/pearlite light out of high carbon steel.

RNDDUDE

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire Maximus headlamp is made from Magnesium....

And here is a crazy idea...the Li-Ion cells are form-factored with threads so that they ARE the body of the light. Just screw on a head and a tailcap an go.

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
I remember when the use of beryllium was banned in Formula 1, supposedly for health reasons. McLaren's Ron Dennis claimed it was only hazardous during manufacturing and special care had to be taken there, but once the parts were in the car they posed no special hazard.