Flashlights with Head Rotation????

kmorar556

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, Ive noticed there are ALOT of flashlights that changes modes by rotating the head. How many of yall actually like this feature?? Sorry if this is a stupid question Im still a newbie, and just curious. Because there is ALOT of flashlights that I like and want (like the Armytek Prdator) but the only feature I don't like about them is the head rotation.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I've got a few like that. I don't mind it. It's great being able to access two "lines" of output easily. My only complaint is that the flashlights that I have that use it generally have loose threads so in the untightened head position I can wiggle the head and get mode skipping because of that. My D25C Ti is the only one that does not have this issue. On my D25C2 it's really annoying and a bit of a problem.

Its a neat idea for a user interface though in my opinion.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dislike having to rotate the bezel in any way except to take the bezel off and on.
like previously mentioned, some have loose threads and can cause wiggle, and depending on how much the bezel was loosened it can activate other modes by accidentally pressing the bezel.
more maintenace is also required. although it really isnt a factor, just clean the contacts every now and then.

i have an armytek predator, and although i like the options it gives me in terms of being able to program it. i dislike its UI even more than your typical fenix, because it require back and forth twisting of the bezel. its thread tolerances are pretty good so theres little wiggle, but 2-hand operation is a must.

for my uses, i like 1-hand operation, and i dont need more than 2 modes of brightness. so i like my lights to be very simple without any moving parts except the switch.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
I really like this feature on my Armytek predator. The rotating action is super smooth and it's alot quicker than having to press the tail cap a million times to get to different outputs.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the head rotation function for UI.
It's my best preference out of all the possible UI methods.
I like the On/Off/Momentary switching controlled at the tail, and the brightness modes controlled with a rotation of the head.

kmorar556

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to mention the reason why I dont like it, its because you need two hands to operation the light. The best UI to me its the Klarus XT-11. I love how everything is done with one hand, and basically done with one thumb.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
I don't like the feature as it's implemented in the Predator. I do like the feature as it's implemented in my Malkoff Wildcat - the physical position (degree of rotation) dictates the output level, and on/off is taken care of with the tailcap switch. That being said, it's possible to program the Predator to behave in this way, but then you're restricting yourself to just two output levels.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. The Malkoff's (HD, Wild Cat, and any MD series with the High/Low ring) have the perfect UI in my opinion. Two modes, high and low, and you can choose either before you hit the switch. Once your mode is selected, you access it with a forward clicky. Perfect.

I don't like the feature as it's implemented in the Predator. I do like the feature as it's implemented in my Malkoff Wildcat - the physical position (degree of rotation) dictates the output level, and on/off is taken care of with the tailcap switch. That being said, it's possible to program the Predator to behave in this way, but then you're restricting yourself to just two output levels.