scorpion mods

Buff1090

Newly Enlightened
I read on cpf how to mod a scorpion light. Put a stinger bulb in it,it worked fine. Now the batteries go dead and I replaced them with sf123 lith and it keeps popping the bulb after 2 times I gave up. Now I don't carry my scorpion I use the surefire e1e with kl4 head that I purchased from tactical warehouse . The light is bright you could see the beam on the wall 30 feet away on a NYC street.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buff,
The idea, for me anyway, behind using the Stinger bulb in the Scorpion was to allow the use of a rechargeable battery like the Pila 168S which is a 3.7 volt li-ion batt.

The stock Scorpion bulb is designed to take 6V from the 2X123's, but the Stinger bulb is designed to operate at 3.7 volts. That's why the fresh batts keep giving you the flash bulb effect. One thing that I haven't tried is running the Stinger bulb on 1X123 with a dummy batt as a spacer in the Scorp. I don't know how that would run or why you would want to do it, but...I guess it's technically a mod.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried putting the KL4 head onto the Scorpion body?

I was originally going to try a KL1 head on my scorpion body because I messed up my Scorpion head (bulb got stuck in the head and I messed up the lens because it would not come out. Long story short, Streamlight just sent it back from repairs under warranty and I'm going to pick it up today from the mailroom.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Chop, I have always found it interesting that Streamlight runs a 3.7 bulb in a 3.6 battery light, while most incandescent lights are run with the voltage of the bulb lower than the voltage of the batteries, very often 1+ volts lower. My lack of understanding, I know. Your 3 volt battery, 3.7 volt bulb mod will not shine as bright as the Stinger flashlight setup. I think that Streamlight bulbs for Stinger series are dedicated for rechargable batteries.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill,
I was only suggesting the single 3v batt. The way I ran my Scorpion was with the Stinger 3.7v bulb and the Pila 3.7v batt. The Pila actually tops off at ~ 4.2V. It worked alright, especially considering that I could use it as much as I wanted without worrying about the battery expense.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Jason,

Yes, KL4 will work on the Scorpion body. Water resistance may be a issue though.