Scorpion question

KZMAN

Newly Enlightened
I have an older xenon scorpion (78 lumen) which is my bump in the night flashlight. It's been great, but I am intrigued by all of the advances in LED technology and am considering getting a Scorpion LED. I believe the current lumen rating for this is around 160. Will this lumen rating in LED be similar to my old xenon, or will it be much brighter? I'm also interested in the ProTac 2L, but I'm concerned about the tail switch taking me to a different mode when all I want is intermittent on high. Any thoughts would be welcome.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I can't comment on the specific lights you listed, overall you'll see an increase in output between the two but it might not be as great as you'd think. The advantage of the LED is efficiency. My SF P6 burned thru two cr123s in about an hour at 65 lumens with it's incandescent bulb. With a low output Malkoff drop in the same two cr123s would last for ten hours at 70 lumens. Efficiency and durability (over a bulb) are the pluses.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have an older xenon scorpion (78 lumen) which is my bump in the night flashlight. It's been great, but I am intrigued by all of the advances in LED technology and am considering getting a Scorpion LED. I believe the current lumen rating for this is around 160. Will this lumen rating in LED be similar to my old xenon, or will it be much brighter? I'm also interested in the ProTac 2L, but I'm concerned about the tail switch taking me to a different mode when all I want is intermittent on high. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Well, with advances come additional options.

There are LED lights with hundreds and even THOUSANDS of lumens now. "Upgrading" to 160 lumens over 78 lumens is not exactly taking advantage of what you COULD upgrade to.

Another spec to consider is the cd...sometimes referred to as the "Lux".

This tells you how FAR the beam will light things up to. A higher cd or lux rating means longer throw.

Run time of course is an easy upgrade as the LEDs draw so much less power.

How far away would you like to be able to see stuff at?

Is this a "bump in the night" at a farm/large out door space, or just in your bedroom, etc?

There are LED lights that can hit targets over a mile away, or, light up say ~ 3 foot ball fields at a time (But not both at the same time).

:D

The higher powered ones of course use more than 1-2 cells, at least three typically, etc...but you can have a tremendous improvement in performance getting a rechargeable li-ion powered LED light. For example, my KEYCHAIN light runs on ONE rechargeable 123 cell, and puts out 500 lumens.

Food for thought.

KZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Well, it doesn't sound like going from 78 lumens to 160 would be a significant upgrade. This light is really just dedicated to night security at home, so it doesn't get used very much. Maybe something like the ProTac HL or the Coast 17 would make more sense as they both offer a significant increase in lumens. In all reality, the 78 lumen Scorpion is probably just fine for my needs, but I guess I'm just interested in getting something newer and more powerful.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
you want to stay with the CR123s, or other and/or rechargeable batteries are possible?

1*18650 f.e. will give You a light of the same size, but with considerably more energy in the cell.
But these are rechargeable only, if this is important