Cheaper than dirt lights

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
This is my first post though I have been lurking for a bit. I have just gotten into lights as a off-shoot of a knife problem I have. I have convinced myself that by spending money on lights I will no longer spend it on sharp pointy things. I have a G2 that I am enjoying very much. I also have a 8x classic on the way. While looking through the Jan 03 Cheaper Than Dirt catalog I saw some Surefire style Xenon lights. No brand name is listed. Does any one have one of these or has handled one. I am looking at the model low-617 a 1 cell light for 29.97. It does not say if it is plastic or metal though. Also considering the Leg-145 2 cell aluminum with 4 filters holster and batteries for $35. Any reviews apreciated.
Thanks
Patrick Hayes
Charlotte NC

TOB9595

Enlightened
Hello and welcome Patrick, Is this on a webpage? or paper catalog? It sounds interesting. Lots of interest here for this stuff.
Tom

Anarchocap

Enlightened
My experience with Cheaper than Dirt is that they are nothing special in the way of pricing and for the majority of stuff you are paying close to retail. Their shipping makes it retail. If they have something you can't find somewhere else, they are worth it, but otherwise a search on Google usually finds multiple cheaper sources...

FWIW, they do list SureFires at the site. Laser Products is SureFire.

JustAGuy

Newly Enlightened
Patrick:

Sorry, I don't know anything about those particular lights, but your post made me smile. I started with a "gun problem," so about a year ago, in an effort to curb the spending, I switched to knives. Now, a year, 100 knives, and $5000 later, I'm looking at lights kind of for the same reason. And I'm pretty sure I know how that will go, too...

I was going to say I've got to start collecting something cheaper, like dirt, but I remembered I've got two 5-gal. buckets in the basement filled with dirt and gravel. My son and I did some prospecting in the Rockies this summer, and that was the stuff we brought home to pan at our leisure. All of which required two new metal detectors and a bunch of other gear.

Yup: "Buy 'em both!"

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ctd's customer service is spotty and they're not doing you any favors on price. some of their products are of lower quality. save yourself some trouble.

arioch

Enlightened
Patrick Hayes:

I have not ordered from Cheaper Than Dirt in a few years, but I had no problems overall.

However, on a few occasions, items I had ordered were backordered. I did receive the items in a reasonable time, though.

I was initially attracted to CTD because of their (then) lower prices on SF products. They have since increased their prices closer to "retail" prices.

Tkl is correct in that CTD does sell a number of imitation off-brand products, particularly knives. I cannot comment on the quality or relative cost of these products versus the "real thing".

To conclude, I don't recall having any bad experiences with CTD through several orders with them; I just moved on to other light sources like www.brightguy.com for my lighting needs.
smile.gif

P.S.: I just took a look at the light you were viewing over there ... it sure does look like a SF light, although the product description seems to indicate that it is not. The price looks interesting as well. Perhaps someone (me?
winkie.GIF
) should get one and try it out.
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never bought from them for 2 reasons 1) there shipping is way too high (20% or so) 2) they're in TX so I have to pay tax + shipping. TX

TechStuf

Newly Enlightened
speaking of cheaper lights.....I am fed up with the surefire brand! They let me down too many times and are way overpriced considering that they can't handle the slightest bump against another hard surface like a gun barrel, baton etc....without smoking their 18.00 bulbs all to hell. I tried an aluminum xenon light found at walmart for less than 20.00 and although it's bulb is separate from it's reflector....it is replaceable and cheap at that.....and BTW haven't had to do that as it is tougher than a surefire any day of the week.....and if you lose it, break it, it's a 20 spot to replace! P.S. uses 2 cr123 lithiums of which 2 are included....like surefire's famous 6p model. Sure, it's cheaper and not as robust....but it's tougher and more dependable....unless you want to talk about just the casing, which I am sure that surefire would love to get away with only focusing on now that they are getting spanked by walmart pretty good!

peace,

TechStuf out

Monsters_Inc

Banned
TechStuf, sounds like Ken Good/Strategoes' new range of lights are targetted at people like you - fed up with the <other> brand... overpriced, fragile bulbs, etc.
wink.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
That torch on the CTD link looks like the "Galls" torch that is discussed here on the Forum "somewhere" (do a search for "Galls"). It "is" also the same torch that Smith & Wesson put their name on. I bought the S&W torch, it's a nice little light but not quite a SureFire. Nice price though. One of my son's owns it now.