Just one light....

dna89

Newly Enlightened
With technology advancing so rapidly. if you were to choose only one light. Which would it be? Please explain the reasoning behind your primary choice. Just for fun what would your secondary choice be? & Why?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think it might be fairly tough not to go with a P60 host (of your choice) and drop-in (of your choice), for the answer here ... ;)

As technology advances ... so does your choice of (new, modular, upgraded) drop-in :D

Alternate choice = Aleph-compatible set-up ... same reasons. A bit more expensive and less readily available, though I do prefer the form factor :devil:

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Archimedes. You can upgrade the drop-in anytime while keeping the same host.

dna89

Newly Enlightened
Thats cheating! LOL.. Love my recently acquired P60 as well. With all things considered. My first choice would be a TN30. With the different lumen levels . It's like having several different flashlights in one. Being smaller than the 31 kinda my favorite at the moment. My second choice would be the TN31... same reasons as above, just a bit larger.

JCD

Enlightened
Surefire C3 or 9P with stock P90 lamp assembly. (If I have to choose between the two, incan is more useful than LED in environments in which I'd be most likely to need a flashlight.) I can run 3x CR123A cells or 2x 17500 rechargeable cells with similar runtimes. It throws well, provides adequate spill (a diffuser can be used for flood, if necessary), and renders colors correctly. The form factor is about perfect; it's small enough to easily carry, while being large enough to fit comfortably in the hand in a variety of orientations.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire C3 or 9P with stock P90 lamp assembly. I can run 3x CR123A cells or 2x 17500 rechargeable cells with similar runtimes. It throws well, provides adequate spill (a diffuser can be used for flood, if necessary), and renders colors correctly. The form factor is about perfect; it's small enough to easily carry, while being large enough to fit comfortably in the hand in a variety of orientations.

I would say C3 or 9P BUT instead, use a Malkoff M61-219. High CRI, 2x17500's/3x123's plus with a dummy spacer you can run 2xRCR's or 2x123's. With 2x spacers you can run 1xRCR and can also run 1x123 or 2xAA's at reduced output for a reasonable time in a pinch.

dna89

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiousity. What kind of flood & throw are we talking about on these drop ins & hosts?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
An old 6D Maglite with a 1w dropin. It will throw really well for the lumens, and will run for the rest of your natural life on a single set of cells.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux-RC FL33-T135 as standard with all the bodies to allow assorted carry sizes. Settings from moonight to 2000 lumens. Slim easy to carry form factor, looks good.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of it depends upon form factor. If you're fine with the P60 host size, then yes--that's the best way to go. Drop-ins will keep getting better and can be installed in a quality compatible host. I have a Pila GL3 that takes a D26 size drop-in... and still, more improved D26 drop-ins keep showing up, effectively keeping the light from becoming obsolete.

For a smaller form factor, I'd choose the NovaTac 120P hands down as my only light.

makapuu

Enlightened
First choice would be a NiteCore TM26.
I'm in a Quad/Tri reflector mode right now, because it offers both flood and throw. Plus it's still portable.
Second choice is my BTU Shocker.
For the same reasons mentioned above, but this one definitely leans heavily towards throw.
This is my stay home light, to freak out trespasser's.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to grab just one light I own and head out the door, I'd be hard pressed to choose between my C2 with M61, or my 6P with EDC triple XP-G2. I'd probably choose the triple because it has a nice low mode to extend battery life.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
For me it would be my HDS Clicky. 200 lumens on max and anywhere in between as I choose. Great runtime and battery management characteristics too. I'm smitten with it.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I only had to keep one light it would be my 2D Maglite modded with a XM-L. I really like the form factor and I'm kind of a fan of modded Maglites ;).

rayman

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of this latest "Just one" thread I would pick either a V10R or a LF2XT. Plenty of light for 95+% of my needs. Of course there would be nothing stock about them. Custom neutral LED upgrades, some Ti bodies, some trit work, etc. :)

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Easy - Surefire EB1 Tactical.

200 lumen high mode, long run time low mode, instantly selectable interface and it fits in my pocket.