Modded novatac acting strange

Lolaralph

Enlightened
I just swapped an XPG2 into a 120P novatac, I can't believe how bright this thing is, but it has one quirk, whenever I turn it on it blinks once then acts completely normal from there, until I turn it off and on again, then the single blink again. It's running on an AW RCR123, does anyone have any ideas what is happening, it's driving me nuts and ruining an otherwise cool mod

Last edited:

Lolaralph

Enlightened
update: just to rule out a low battery i charged an AW fully, installed it, then quickly watched the XPG2 turn an angry blue and ruined half of the emitter. Does anyone have any ideas, the only thing i can think of is did the XPG2 have such a low Vf that it caused this issue.

fyrstormer

Banned
Is the 120P supposed to be RCR-compatible? If not, that's the problem. Otherwise, there's probably a bad thermal connection between the emitter and the carrier board, and the emitter overheated.

Lolaralph

Enlightened
Is the 120P supposed to be RCR-compatible? If not, that's the problem. Otherwise, there's probably a bad thermal connection between the emitter and the carrier board, and the emitter overheated.
frystormer,
thanks for the response, from what i've read the Novatacs fully support the RCR, mine did not come with a manual as i got it from the bay, i thought the thermal path may be an issue but i'm not sure, i've reflowed quite a few LEDs, and arctic alumina and ceramique were used throughout. I'll be trying another emitter swap tonight, an XP-E this time, so we'll see. I'm still curious about the Vf issue,if anyone else has any input it would be appreciated

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had one turn blue. I've done several XM-L's, XP-G's and a triple Nichia. As for the flash, When you put the RCR in did you hold the button down until the light went out to "set" the battery type? The NT's you have to do that to so it knows if it's a primary or RCR.

Lolaralph

Enlightened
Think2x,
thanks for the response, the flash was from the low battery, with a fully charged RCR the flash stops. Installed an XPE tonight, this one was fine until I set the output to max, then guess what, it turned blue, not angry, but definitely blue, if I backed off the output two levels it seems okay, what the hell is going on with this light, do I have some type of super driver or did I get a shipment of extremely low Vf LEDs, XPG2 and XPE.

Update: I installed an old K2 (UVOE) and it seems fine, I just don't get it with this damn light, I should just leave it alone, but I really want the XPE to work, any ideas ?

fyrstormer

Banned
Isn't there a procedure where you have to reset the driver when you switch to a battery with a different voltage? Or is that only on HDS lights? (HDS lights are NovaTacs' rich cousins.) I think the reset happens automatically if the battery is removed for more than 60 seconds, but there may be a way to trigger a reset manually. It will only work with a fully-charged battery, though.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think2x,
thanks for the response, the flash was from the low battery, with a fully charged RCR the flash stops. Installed an XPE tonight, this one was fine until I set the output to max, then guess what, it turned blue, not angry, but definitely blue, if I backed off the output two levels it seems okay, what the hell is going on with this light, do I have some type of super driver or did I get a shipment of extremely low Vf LEDs, XPG2 and XPE.

Update: I installed an old K2 (UVOE) and it seems fine, I just don't get it with this damn light, I should just leave it alone, but I really want the XPE to work, any ideas ?

It almost sounds as if on MAX the driver is going direct drive and a fully charged RCR will kill an XP-G/E in a hurry. I'd say just back the max output down to where it's stable and call it good.

Lolaralph

Enlightened
The driver going direct drive is what I guessing is going on, I think the K2s higher Vf is moderating the issue, but I think I'm putting the XP-E back in and find the proper level and leave it there. I guess it may just be a funky driver in this particular light, it is used after all, I'll report back after a few days