Quick, I need a new headlamp. It needs to be...

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
This will be multipurpose and no specific activity (I'm working on a basement remodel right now, but I would like to go camping, biking, etc... )

It needs to provide the following at under the $100...

1. Ability to have long run-time at about 80 lumens
2. High lumen output - battery time really doesn't matter
3. Multi-color... at least least red (if not red, blue or green)
4. If it's possible to add like an extra battery pack (modular - that would be AMAZING)
5. Preferable if it uses CR123. But, if it's innovative enough, AA is acceptable.
6. If it is 18650, it had to be darn good to necessitate the added expense of batteries/chargers
7. Needs to be comfortable and secure
8. I would like it to be innovative...

I need suggestions fast before I order one...

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan

Last edited:

Szemhazai

Enlightened
For multicolor option there is not so many headlamps on the market - but 80 lumens is not so much, so you can try to get : REMINGTON 4AA 3W 150 LUMEN headlamp. If you will be lucky you can get it for under 40$.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Ryan! Interesting set of constraints.

This will be multipurpose and no specific activity (I'm working on a basement remodel right now, but I would like to go camping, biking, etc... )

A basement remodel indicates a flood light; biking indicates a throwy spot. So you may want a dual beam light. Flip diffusers are often used to accomplish this at low cost.

It needs to provide the following at under the $100...

1. Ability to have long run-time at about 80 lumens
2. High lumen output - battery time really doesn't matter

As Szem says, the above two are incongruous; 80 isn't very bright by today's standards, and what do you mean by wanting "long run time" but "battery time really doesn't matter?".

4. If it's possible to add like an extra battery pack (modular - that would be AMAZING)

Why extra battery pack if runtime doesn't matter and 80 lm is sufficient?

5. Preferable if it uses CR123. But, if it's innovative enough, AA is acceptable.
6. If it is 18650, it had to be darn good to necessitate the added expense of batteries/chargers
7. Needs to be comfortable and secure
8. I would like it to be innovative...

Size, waterproofing, nor tint seem to matter to you. (These are all big deals for me). I'm having a hard time thinking of lamps that meet your specs and use CR123 -- which by the way does not have the big advantage over AAs that it used to. Seems the marketplace is going to either AAs or 18650s, not seeing as many innovative CR123 lights as we have in years past.

To me, it seems your wants are "Petzl-like." Take a look at a Petzl Myo RXP. External 3AA pack, spot or flood, 205 lumen. $79. It's not the newest light, but well respected.

If you'd be willing to compromise to AAAs, then a whole world of Petzl options are available to you. Even with flip diffusers and multi-color options. Petzl even has their CORE proprietary battery system which might interest you, as it is a quick-change li-ion system.

Last edited:

Esko

Enlightened

If any color is fine, it doesn't look like you actually need a multi-color headlamp... It does limit your choices a lot, I suggest you to drop it.

I don't see any demand for small size, so, I would like to suggest Spark SX5. You could use AAA, AA, CR123, 18650 or 26650, the maximum runtime at 60/55 lumens is 86 hours (with the extra battery pack and 4*18650) or 14,5 hours with 3*AA, you can make the beam floodier by removing the reflector, max output is 350/320 lumens (cool white model / neutral white model) etc. and the price is around $75.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Bolster, I care about battery life at the 100 lumens mark. High lumen runtime isn't really a huge deal as long as it offers the capability.

Esko, those sound like good options. Can you think of any other good options? You're on the right track... You can take some of the restrictions away if necessary.

Thanks...

via my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk...

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you think of any other good options? You're on the right track... You can take some of the restrictions away if necessary.

FWIW, I was going to suggest the SX5 also, except it doesn't do colors and doesn't do CR123. If you can do without those constraints, then Esko has a good suggestion for you. (Oh, wait, Esko says it DOES do CR123. I didn't know that, and I own one!! LOL.)

Esko

Enlightened
(Oh, wait, Esko says it DOES do CR123. I didn't know that, and I own one!! LOL.)

Yes, the larger extra battery pack is made for 1-4*18650 or 2-8*CR123 and the voltage range is up to 6,8 V.

I don't think there is anything that prevents you from using 2*CR123 in the smaller standard battery pack too. The only problem is that you would need to make a sleeve(/adapter), since it doesn't come with one. Single 18650 might stay in place without it (as Spark has suggested), but 2*CR123 will not.

Esko, those sound like good options. Can you think of any other good options? You're on the right track... You can take some of the restrictions away if necessary.

I am not very familiar with the options in traditional (Petzl style) headlamps, and you already are familiar with Zebralight/Spark style headlamps (according to your signature with ZL H30). I believe there are other people that can help you better. It sounded like Spark SX5 suits reasonably well to your specs, so, I thought it would be a good option to check and consider.

http://spark-light.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=32