Power supply question

geodesic

Newly Enlightened
I am attempting to light many 700mA LEDs (e.g., this) and am trying to figure out the cheapest/easiest way to power them in parallel.

The Mean Well 90W power supply looks like a pretty decent solution based on preliminary research. However, I am still criminally ignorant on a lot of the fundamentals. Since I don't want to mess up and fry the LEDs, I have a couple questions:

• Is the number of LEDs that I can hook up in parallel just 90W / (0.7A * forward_voltage), or am I missing something? Is it dangerous to go close to the watt limit of the power supply?
  • What kind of wiring is advisable when you do something like this?

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will recomend you drive them in serie, is more easy to find a driver to connect it like that, I can point you in this driver, but maybe is not the best, but it is cheap, maybe you can find another driver that push more power to the leds...

DX SKU: 66274

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

arek98

Enlightened
Looks good. I used other Mean Well power supplies for under cabinet lights.
According to spec A version (one you linked) has internal pot to adjust current from 420 to 700 mA
You need to connect all LEDs in series, for 0.7A I would use AWG 24 or 22 wire (good quality wire in Teflon insulation).
Switch on AC side.
You need to stay under max voltage with whole string Vf. 129V / 11.7 (Vf of single LED at 0.7A) gives you almost even 11.
I would go with 10 LEDs to stay safe. 11 should not fry them but PSU will not be able to supply required voltage for given current and they will be really dim.

What are you using them for? Are you ok with 6500K?
Also MK-R LED that you picked can be driven up to 1.25A. Are you underpowering it on purpose? This is ok if you do, since efficiency is better, just checking.

I am attempting to light many 700mA LEDs (e.g., this) and am trying to figure out the cheapest/easiest way to power them in parallel.

The Mean Well 90W power supply looks like a pretty decent solution based on preliminary research. However, I am still criminally ignorant on a lot of the fundamentals. Since I don't want to mess up and fry the LEDs, I have a couple questions:

• Is the number of LEDs that I can hook up in parallel just 90W / (0.7A * forward_voltage), or am I missing something? Is it dangerous to go close to the watt limit of the power supply?
  • What kind of wiring is advisable when you do something like this?