Proof of my Epic Cheapness

lordraiden

Newly Enlightened
This is proof of just how cheap I am. Battery in my cheap rechargable died due to the winter cold, so what do I do? Grab an identical spare, swap them out, glue the sucker back in place (that rubber band is being used to hold down the battery while the fresh glue dries as I had to take the old glue off to remove the old battery) and then put the light back together. Overall project success? Epic Win! It's cheaper for me to replace a $2 battery than a $16 crank light. Yes I'm cheap.
icon_razz.gif

file.php

JCD

Enlightened
Since when is a willingness to repair instead of replace a sign of cheapness?

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
Since when is a willingness to repair instead of replace a sign of cheapness?
I agree. I'd rather you only have to recycle or dispose of a tiny battery than have to break down the whole light to save anything recyclable and trash the rest. I'd say repairing when you can is responsible.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Are you cheap? I don't know... maybe. This little demonstration however doesn't qualify as a determinant of whether you are cheap or not. Frugal? I'd think yes. Perhaps you like to take things apart to see how they work, or take broken things apart for the challenge of trying to repair them, (I can relate to that).

Personally I HATE the fact that we have become such a "throw away" society. I applaud you for taking the time to repair that light.

lordraiden

Newly Enlightened
Scsmith, Poppy, given the fact that nearly everything these days is designed to be thrown away, you're right. Most don't repair. They just throw away. I like to repair anything I can. Probably because I grew up on a farm and nothing gets thrown out until it's been used, reused and used over again until it's got no life left in it. :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Two years ago, I had to throw out my 8 year old lawn mower because it was cheaper to buy a new one than to buy the parts needed to fix the old one... that was a killer for me. :( How is it that my 40 year old snow blower still runs like a top? And that despite the fact that it has been left outside in the weather for the last 25 years of it's life!

lordraiden

Newly Enlightened
Poppy, the snow blower is probably still running because it comes from an era when everything was built to last, not be used briefly and then tossed out for something newer and shinier. That's probably the biggest problem with people these days. They want the newest, shiniest thing, and that's given the manufacturers carte blanke to make cheap, quickly replaced junk IMHO.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Poppy, the snow blower is probably still running because it comes from an era when everything was built to last, not be used briefly and then tossed out for something newer and shinier. That's probably the biggest problem with people these days. They want the newest, shiniest thing, and that's given the manufacturers carte blanke to make cheap, quickly replaced junk IMHO.

I once read a book about German POW's held in a communist country during WWII. They were "conscripted" to do construction work on the homes of some of the "politicos" outside of the camp walls. Almost immediately the town's folk approached them to barter for bags of cement. They would be replaced for sand. The Germans knowing that would result in inferior workmanship and their concrete failures would result in their unpleasant treatment, by the guards, they, would not participate in this underground economy. As a result, their workmanship was superior to the locals (who DID participate in the underground economy and thereby profited by it). This managed to make the Germans a sought after commodity. Their construction projects were built to last.

I am dishearted by the fact that so much of our (American) manufacturing is going over-seas to Communistic countries, but for the almighty dollar. The products are produced cheaper over there, despite the fact that the quality is not the same as the standards of 30 years ago. They are not built to last. It is incredible how cheap they are, both in price and quality. Thirty years ago, my cousin bought a air compressor with a 3 gallon tank for $325 from Sears. Currently, despite the fact that the cost of living has gone up, and the value of the dollar has gone down, the same (????) compressor can be bought for about $100. Huh??? Oh yes... no longer made in the USA, and not expected to last as long.

So, my friend, I agree, and dissagree. I think that the force behind the move to buy cheap junk is the otherwise high cost of living. People are looking to get by, perhaps, to squeek by. Are there pockets of products, where only the latest, newest, most cutting edge, coolest, fastest, most maximest products are the driving force for people to go out and buy? Absolutely! They however are bought by those in the top 5% income brackets, and kids, still living at home where the parents pay all the significant bills. LOL... maybe I am wrong.

Getting back on point... I hope that fixing that flashlight brought YOU some pride in your accomplishment, AND that while doing it that you were afforded the opportunity to teach a member of the younger generation how to do it.

Personally I scored in the top 3% of the nation in mechanical ability because my father took things apart and showed me how they worked or why they stopped working whenever something in the house failed. I try to do the same with my son and grandkids.

Kudos to you my friend :thumbsup:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most stuff are not buildt to last now. Us made, china made, makes little difference who makes the cheap crap. I remember seeing a tv program about stuff that were supposed to break. Like pc's printers etc. some were supposedly even programmed to fail after x amount of time. Me and 2 friends bought some laptops on a impulse (sale) and they all died the same day with the same error. Black screen, non responsive. Remembering the "conspiracy tv program" we joked about it maby was programmed to fail that date someyear later. Found a new b.i.o.s and forced it in the laptops. All 3 were working again. Coincident? maby..

I dont think you will find many 2013 model us made cars still on the road 40-50 years in the future. Why? They are not buildt to last. A everlasting car is bad for the producers economy. A proud work force means nothing if the product is designed to be crap from the start.