Anyone Played With the Xtar R30...?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
With respect to the Xtar R30...

One of the dealers on the MP indicated one is on the way to selfbuilt for a full review, which I look forward to.

Has any here played with one yet?

There is a brief overview on YouTube here.

Things I Like:

1) Medium orange peel reflector
2) Can charge battery in light
3) Bright
4) Charging port cover
5) Can tailstand

Things I Don't Like:

1) Click to change modes

This is something I really don't like at all. I would prefer single click for on, and single click for off,
and hold down to change modes. If you are going to make a side click flashlight, I feel very strongly
that after years and years of nothing but Maglites, side click flashlights should be click on, click off,
and either a separate button to change modes or hold down to change modes.

After watching the video review and seeing how you need to hold down to turn off,
I am "turned off" to buying this light.

2) Takes several seconds in "off" to memorize mode, according to narrator in video review

The light should memorize the last mode automatically and very quickly.

I look forward to selbuilt's full review. I like the output, judging from the beamshot on Xtar's homepage,
the medium orange peel reflector, the integrated charging ability, and the way it looks.

I dislike the fact that the next click after turning on does not turn it off,
but instead changes the mode. I would much rather see a "press and hold to change mode" function instead.

Does anybody own this light yet?

If so, what do you think?

Last edited:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi LEDAdd1ct, I just finished a review of the R30. I agree with you that having to hold the button down and wait to turn it off is not appealing, but in my opinion having to hold down and wait to change modes would be even more frustrating. Ideally, future lights like this could either have two switches or a two-stage switch (recognizing half-press and full-press).