Perlens Long Range Lens Upgrade for Maglite w/ LED Upgrade

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these off of ebay for my old 4 D cell, non D-prefix Maglite ($19.85 with shipping). Search for it on ebay using "long range lens upgrade". It also works in my 2 & 3 D cell lights, but I've since put Fusion Showerheads in those. There is also a version for the MagLED and the MiniMag. The older Mags need to have an LED upgrade. Mine has the Terralux TLE-6EX.

This is how it's promoted on the ebay page: "Used in the Maglite this lens focuses to a projected image of the LED die which is approximately 4 degrees square (6.6m at 100m range). All of the LED output which directly strikes the rear of the lens is focused. Extraneous light which strikes the flashlight reflector forms a halo away from the focused beam."

I don't have a great place to take a beam shot (there are some on the ebay page), but might be able to this weekend while on a turkey hunt. From what I've been able to see so far, the hotspot and range are definitely improved. As he states, it does result in the square-die image being projected. I assume it will work with higher quality LED upgrades like the Malkoff. If so, this thing would be a stunnah! And he's not kidding about the halo. It's unusual because it's fairly well defined. It might annoy some folks, but doesn't bother me. I realize that to some this is like spraying Lysol on dogsh!t, but I still like the form factor of the 4D Mag. The only disadvantage I can see so far is that the lens sticks out past the bezel, so it won't headstand now. A strike bezel would solve that problem, but even I'm not willing to drop another twenty-five bucks on this light.

My opinion is that if you have an older Mag that you've upgraded with an LED, you'll want to try this thing, but I'm posting mostly because I'm curious to see if anyone else has bought it and has an opinion to offer. BTW, I ordered one for a MiniMag also, but when I went to carefully clean all of the gunk (adhesive) that Terralux had carelessly applied to the dome of their older version, the LED stopped working. I'm not certain I want to spend another $17 on an LED upgrade for a MiniMag, but it is the wife's favorite task light (it's purple) and I already spent the $10 for the new lens.