Brighest Non-Propane Lantern?

wanosd

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I love to camp and I've purchased many battery-powered lanterns. Coleman has a 580 lumens one they claimed a few years ago is the brighest in the world. It really sucks. I had two of them. Anyways, I found that World Green Products sells a solar powered lantern that does what they claim is 1,000 lumens. It shines a little less than 180 degrees, but it's the brightest one I've seen so far. I tested it out with a lux meter and found the lux meter gave it a reading of 104 (relative number), with a Coleman 8D battery lantern (which I find pretty bright already, even at 7-8 years old) giving a reading of 57, and Coleman's 580 lumen one to be 11.3 (which is laughable being this thing is less than 2 years old).

Basically if you find one you think is bright, let me know. I want to purchase all the "bright" ones so I can test them out and compare them on my lux meter.

Thanks!

mr. nguyen

Newly Enlightened
If possible, it'd be interesting to see how one of the Rayovac Sportsman LED lanterns stack up.

SemiMan

Banned
Hi guys,

I love to camp and I've purchased many battery-powered lanterns. Coleman has a 580 lumens one they claimed a few years ago is the brighest in the world. It really sucks. I had two of them. Anyways, I found that World Green Products sells a solar powered lantern that does what they claim is 1,000 lumens. It shines a little less than 180 degrees, but it's the brightest one I've seen so far. I tested it out with a lux meter and found the lux meter gave it a reading of 104 (relative number), with a Coleman 8D battery lantern (which I find pretty bright already, even at 7-8 years old) giving a reading of 57, and Coleman's 580 lumen one to be 11.3 (which is laughable being this thing is less than 2 years old).

Basically if you find one you think is bright, let me know. I want to purchase all the "bright" ones so I can test them out and compare them on my lux meter.

Thanks!

How far from the lantern were you measuring the light level? How did you orient the sensor in relation to the lantern?

Semiman

Poppy

Flashaholic
While you are doing comparisons, and since they are relative numbers, I'd be interested in seeing where they stand in comparison to a two mantle propane lantern, and a 18650 flashlight tailstanding with a table tennis ball on top as a difuser. That would make the test more meaningful to me.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, the brightest non-propane lantern is probably one that burns Coleman fuel rather than using batteries. :wave:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aladdin kerosene lamps are silent, require no pumping, burn a fuel that is much safer to store, transport and handle than white gas AND put out light equivalent to a 100 watt Edison bulb. There is a learning curve for proper operation but once mastered they are capable of producing light without any odor.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Stereodude said, Coleman fuel lantern are bright, reliable and don't need expensive propane tanks...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think the main problem here is even if they made a 1000 lumen battery powered lantern it would need a lot of power to keep it running for a day compared to fuel based lanterns. This is why cars run on gas more often then batteries.

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened
Any of the large Coleman running kerosene or Coleman fuel are 500 candle power, too bright to look into outdoors during the day. Very bad for your eyes.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking about fuel lantern, anyone tried the Britelyt ? It was advertised (banner) on CPFMP. Looks amazing, esthetically and technically.

parris001

Newly Enlightened
Talking about fuel lantern, anyone tried the Britelyt ? It was advertised (banner) on CPFMP. Looks amazing, esthetically and technically.

Britelyts are a clone of a very good old German lantern. Petromax/Aida/Geniol. All of these are pretty good. Not as good in my opinion as some Tilley stuff. But darn good. Britelyt have some serious build quality issues. And build quality issues on a liquid fueled lantern can equal some very dangerous situations.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Britelyt have some serious build quality issues. And build quality issues on a liquid fueled lantern can equal some very dangerous situations.

:eek:

I don't know a lot about fuel lamps but I was seriously thinking about a Britelyt... Can you elaborate on the type of problems ?

flyingtoaster

Newly Enlightened
I think the consensus on the Coleman forums is that BryteLyte are made inbthe same factory in China as the other Petromax clones. You can buy one right now on the Coleman Collector's forum for $80 something from an ebay seller who is part of the gas pressure lamp community. I think they are branded Butterfly. It's like buying a good quality Rolex counterfeit. Sometimes it will outlast the real thing.

:eek:

I don't know a lot about fuel lamps but I was seriously thinking about a Britelyt... Can you elaborate on the type of problems ?