Start Motor Capacitors

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a garage door that keeps blowing the start motor capacitor.
The specifications are : Motor Start Capacitor, 53-64 MFD, 330V
I have been buying them from Grainger part number 2MEL2
Can someone recommend a better start motor capacitor that won't blow.

Thanks for any advice/recommendation.

lildave

Newly Enlightened
Does it have a centrifugal switch? Are you sure it's a start cap? Not a run cap. 120v?
They might of got a bag batch. ( I've seen it)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it has a centrifugal switch.
I am sure it is a start capacitor.
I have replaced the start capacitor 3 times now, but I am hoping there is a better quality or higher capacity start capacitor.
Does it have a centrifugal switch? Are you sure it's a start cap? Not a run cap. 120v?
They might of got a bag batch. ( I've seen it)

Last edited:

lildave

Newly Enlightened
See if you can find a run cap. ( metal can). Caps only last so many starts. But if they have a big load when starting they burn faster. I maintain 100 small motors at work.

lildave

Newly Enlightened
A lower capacity would be better. (lower start torque)
Higher voltages makes it last longer. But it gets bigger and may not fit.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate your help lildave.
What is the difference between a run capacitor and a start capacitor?
Is a higher microfarads better?
Also why are the start capacitors made with different voltage?
See if you can find a run cap. ( metal can). Caps only last so many starts. But if they have a big load when starting they burn faster. I maintain 100 small motors at work.

lildave

Newly Enlightened
Run caps are designed to stay in the system, they dissipate the heat.( Usually metal can). More microfarads means start faster, more inrush current. Different voltages for different supply voltages ( help keep cost and size down when not needed). On 120vac peak is 169v.
If you are blowing caps I would think you have an excessive load on startup. Did you throw a amp meter to see the current?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not blowing them constantly, but the start capacitors last anywhere from 3 months to 1 year.
I may need to try an amp meter.
I ordered a slightly larger start capacitor to see if it will work better.
Original is 53-64 microfrarads 330v, and I ordered a 64-77 microfrarads 330v.
Run caps are designed to stay in the system, they dissipate the heat.( Usually metal can). More microfarads means start faster, more inrush current. Different voltages for different supply voltages ( help keep cost and size down when not needed). On 120vac peak is 169v.
If you are blowing caps I would think you have an excessive load on startup. Did you throw a amp meter to see the current?

Last edited:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate your help lildave.
What is the difference between a run capacitor and a start capacitor?
Is a higher microfarads better?
Also why are the start capacitors made with different voltage?

Single Phase AC motors generally have ZERO starting Torque. This creates obviously problems. So most single phase motors have a 2nd winding that is used to start the motor. The Start Capacitor
creates a phase delay, so in effect when engaged, the motor is running on two phase AC, which solves the starting torque problem. Once the motor is actually running, the start winding and start capacitor
are no longer needed, so usually there is a current relay (it drops out when the current on the main winding falls off once the motor has started), or a centrifugal switch, which disconnects the start capacitor once the motor reaches a certain RPM, indicating that it has in fact started.

A Run Capacitor serves the same purpose, except that it remains in the circuit at all times, in effect making your single phase motor a two phase motor. This usually results in higher torque, and higher efficiency, or in some cases, lower cost because you can dispense with the start relay/switch. These capacitors (as well as start capacitors) generally handle a fairly healthy amount of energy, so unless they are substantially overdesigned, they tend not to have long uneventful lives. Part of the overdesign is to design them significantly higher voltages than nominal line voltage. The act of closing the switch on a large motor creates fairly hefty transients that for brief periods can be substantially hoigher than the nominal line voltage.

HIgher microfarads means increased current in the start winding, which usually means higher starting torque (and possible shorter start winding life).

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks mattheww50 for the excellent explaination. The start capacitor always seemed a little weak on starting the motor, so I am hoping this larger start capacitor will work without any problems, or cause premature wear.
Single Phase AC motors generally have ZERO starting Torque. This creates obviously problems. So most single phase motors have a 2nd winding that is used to start the motor. The Start Capacitor
creates a phase delay, so in effect when engaged, the motor is running on two phase AC, which solves the starting torque problem. Once the motor is actually running, the start winding and start capacitor
are no longer needed, so usually there is a current relay (it drops out when the current on the main winding falls off once the motor has started), or a centrifugal switch, which disconnects the start capacitor once the motor reaches a certain RPM, indicating that it has in fact started.

A Run Capacitor serves the same purpose, except that it remains in the circuit at all times, in effect making your single phase motor a two phase motor. This usually results in higher torque, and higher efficiency, or in some cases, lower cost because you can dispense with the start relay/switch. These capacitors (as well as start capacitors) generally handle a fairly healthy amount of energy, so unless they are substantially overdesigned, they tend not to have long uneventful lives. Part of the overdesign is to design them significantly higher voltages than nominal line voltage. The act of closing the switch on a large motor creates fairly hefty transients that for brief periods can be substantially hoigher than the nominal line voltage.

HIgher microfarads means increased current in the start winding, which usually means higher starting torque (and possible shorter start winding life).

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update. It's been 6 months now, and I have had no problems my start capacitor. My garage door is opening and closing perfectly.