Need recommendation for LED repalcement of MR-11 HID light

jwalko

Newly Enlightened
Hi all:

Been a long time reader and researcher on the forums...but first time posting. I hope this is in the right forum.

I need a recommendation. I have a Slimline (DiveRite) MR-11 HID canister light. The bulb and ballast are bad (light canister was flooded...but switch and wires appear OK).

I have ambitions to build this into a bigger, brighter light with a modified Maglight head at some point in the future...but for now am looking for an easier, quicker solution.

What I have so far is the complete set up with a 12 v, 4500mAh batter (brand new battery...I first thought the battery was bad so I replaced it...now I have 2). Upon further testing last night, I am getting voltage (just over 12v) to the lead wires in the light head...but no night (which causes me to suspect bulb/ballast issues).

For an easier/quick fix, can you recommend an MR-11 sized drop in module that would be bright with a narrow beam (6 -9 degrees) that I could easily modify for this light? My reasoning for this temporary step is that I already have the light head...which is waterproof. I don't have to build anything at this point (no access to lathe...which is delaying my other project). I would like it to be as bright as possible (1000+ lms would be nice) with as tight a beam as possible. In an ideal world, it would also work with my existing battery (so perhaps require a buck driver...been looking at Taskled for those).

I'm not afraid of building my own or modifying...just looking for the fastest, easiest solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks;

John