Elderly Light?

2watt

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday at our family turkey-day get together, I was just playing with my Sure Fire G2. It wasn't at my house so there wasn't much else to do. Anyway my aunt asked about it and said that her flashlights were quite dull. I told her about the G2 and highly recommended it. Now I think maybe there's a better light for her. She has some arthritis in her hands so twisting the tail cap down may not be that easy. What would you recommend? At or around $30 would be nice. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 4AA light with a real switch like a Stealthlite or similar type. It's shaped for easy holding, brighter and lighter than a 2D, and fairly small.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
2watt,
I have given this a lot of thought because my step-mom is 85. I bought her a Blaster 1R. They need light that you can change the batteries easily, this includes getting the batteries in/out and not having to deal with unusual battery carriers (Surge/3toDs,etc.) I also chose a Luxeon light so that she won't have to change out light bulbs. They need a switch that they understand (the kind they are used to). Another consideration is that elderly people usually need more light than a younger person. The Blaster 1R also lasts a long time on a set of batteries and the quality is very high. Blaster 1R here & go to shopping cart
http://www.elektrolumens.com/
For a cheaper light, I recommend the Streamlight 4AA 7LED. This has a switch on the tail. SL 4AA 7LED here
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10700428135426134&sku=STR68201
You could get her a G2 and add a Kroll "clasic" switch module. This is an easy drop-in mod available from The Sandwich Shoppe. here
https://secure3.dnsaction.com/~anlighte/shop/default.php?cPath=27&osCsid=334dfcccd8566b0043d9668eadf3bcc0

fivebyfive

Enlightened
Hey,how about at uk-4AA with the new push button switch. THis is good because it uses AA's (easy to find & cheap). Has a nice shape to fit in one's hand. Has a push button for easy on/off operation. It's bright, waterproof, durable. Lastly it's only around $15. I hope this helps.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
V8TOYTRUCK said:
I would recommend a Scorpion, it has one of the easiest to depress switches I have ever used, and the non slip rubberized body will be easy to hold on to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, they also have a spare bulb in the head of the light (and replacing them only costs around $5).

-Mike

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If she is going to use it inside, I agree the Streamlight 4AA - LED might be best.

If her hands are not strong enough, the tailend switch can be activated by standing the light head down on a table and pushing the switch with the thumb.

I've seen the new UK-4AA on the Brightguy web site. It's switch looks VERY easy to use. I think the LED flood of the SL would be a better beam however.

GregR

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the SL 4AA7LED. My grandmother loves the one I gave her.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about just changing the bulb in one of her current flashlights to an Everled? Yeah, it's a little more expensive, but that way it will be installed in a light she already has, and is used to using.

2watt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help!! This is great!! I like the SL 4AA LED. I was on their web site but I didn't see any CP or Lumen rating. Do you know about what it is? Unfortunatly there aren't any dealers near me so I'll have to mail order.
Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, 2watt !

Flashlightreviews.com's Quickbeam has a very helpful "Overall Output and Throw" chart that he updates on occasion. I checked it and he has the SL Propolymer 4AA LED up. He also has a review on it. You can navigate to his reviews through the link below.

Quickbeam's Overall Output vs Throw Chart

My mother is 78 and I gave her a Streamlight Twin-Task 2L and she is delighted with it.

It has a push button on the base of the head and has two modes, 3 LEDs or incandescent. Powered by two 3 volt CR123 lithium cells (hence the "2L"). I've purchased them for $30.00 on Ebay. The aluminum body has very good checkering for an excellent grip. They come in black or a silver finish (they call it "titanium"). Spare lamps are about $5 or $6.00 for a two pack.

My wife has asked me to get two more for her parents and we both have them in our gloveboxes.

BC

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the CC Trek Light is extremely easy to turn on and off. My 85 year old mother can work the PT Impact and Tec 40 easily enough that she is happy with them. I put a Koehler-Brightstar PR4-LED (6 volt) bulb in the Tec 40.

Since I am getting increasing nice comments on my L4, I may have to lock it up in one of my filing cabinets, or hide it from her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The X5T may do, as the tail cap is very easy to turn.

The best thing is to get with her, and a selection of your lights, with different switch types, and see which one(s) work best for her. Better than guessing.

Lightwave 2000 may do as well.