Ideas for Improving Headlamps

beamon

Newly Enlightened
I think the future for headlamps is in everyday use around homes, yards, and neighborhoods—and not just for caving and night-time hiking in forests.

While headlamp discussions on CPF often focus on the need for brighter or dimmer lights, longer run-times, lighter weight, and other technical desires, I think some more obvious headlamp design needs are being ignored:

1. Headlamps need to become more comfortable. I'm puzzled by the slabs of silicone pressed up against the forehead to hold headlamps in place. Without putting a knit cap under them, those holders aren't comfortable for hours of use. Greater, washable cushioning is needed behind those slabs.

2. More than a single button is needed to control all aspects of headlamp use. I don't see why a rheostatic ring isn't used regularly in headlamps to control lumen levels, along with a button for changing modes. For those concerned about gauging run-times at specific lumen levels, I think it would be VERY EASY for a manufacturer to include little notches in the movement of the ring, to let the user gauge specific lumen levels along the way. The user could start with the light "off," and count the notches felt while turning the ring up, to know the specific level, and so be able to gauge the run-time. Among other things, this would allow users to move gradually from sub-one-lumen levels to the brightest level. Clicking buttons should just be for switching modes (eg, from beam to strobes to metering voltage, whatever).

Are there any other basic ideas out there for improving headlamps in general?

markr6

Flashaholic
I like the Zebralight UI, but I also like the idea of a rotary with notches. No nonsense from the marketing department like 924 modes, about 4 will do.

Plus a screw-on bezel to diffuse a tight beam...best of both worlds. So simple, so where is this light?!?!?? Frustrating!

stp

Newly Enlightened
Did you guys see this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?360797-Cryos-Illumination-s-Triple-Function-Light ?

Personally I believe that there is still long way before headlamps/flashlights will offer full and efficient control to the user. For me full control is not only the power level but also beam profile control and tint/color control.

I'm also all for ring UI, I don't need infinite levels, discreet is good enough for me. Still 4 (hey markr6) is for me to little. And with growing power of lights we will need more and more levels to cover all bases.

As of today I don't know about any small light that would offer ring control and good flood-to-throw in one package. So we don't have even the most basic needs (for me) covered. I'm not even speaking about little "futuristic" things like small display or bluetooth (and this imho could be done in non gimmick way: info about runtime, left power and controling your headlamp with a watch on your hand could be useful) also customizing the UI to your personal needs via bluetooth could be also done - no more need for instruction and multiclick hell to program your light (hint at HDS right here :)

The funny thing is that imho most of it could be done right now ( the only problem I see is in color control - current solution produce ugly or/and weak beams) but the price would be very high to cover the development of light like that so nobody wants to take the risk. Currently it looks like Nitecore is the only one brand that will be able to get close but they are not interested in zooms or headlamps in general for now.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the future for headlamps is in everyday use around homes, yards, and neighborhoods—and not just for caving and night-time hiking in forests.

While headlamp discussions on CPF often focus on the need for brighter or dimmer lights, longer run-times, lighter weight, and other technical desires, I think some more obvious headlamp design needs are being ignored:

1. Headlamps need to become more comfortable. I'm puzzled by the slabs of silicone pressed up against the forehead to hold headlamps in place. Without putting a knit cap under them, those holders aren't comfortable for hours of use. Greater, washable cushioning is needed behind those slabs.

2. More than a single button is needed to control all aspects of headlamp use. I don't see why a rheostatic ring isn't used regularly in headlamps to control lumen levels, along with a button for changing modes. For those concerned about gauging run-times at specific lumen levels, I think it would be VERY EASY for a manufacturer to include little notches in the movement of the ring, to let the user gauge specific lumen levels along the way. The user could start with the light "off," and count the notches felt while turning the ring up, to know the specific level, and so be able to gauge the run-time. Among other things, this would allow users to move gradually from sub-one-lumen levels to the brightest level. Clicking buttons should just be for switching modes (eg, from beam to strobes to metering voltage, whatever).

2. I have modded many headlamps to use the rheostat resistors. I think they offer brighter light at a given drive level than many of my Controller pwm lights, empirically. The fenix hp11 buck controller, though, is nicer (empirically brighter, flat regulation, halfday/fullday/twoday/100hour runtimes). A dial buck controller would interest me.

1. I firmly, firmly believe most people are not flashaholics, because they think of flashlights as dim and/or short runtimes. If intensity doesn't make tasks easier, and runtime too short to make daily usage very practical, bummer. OTH, if UI too bulky, bummer. Therein, is the catch 22: balance runtime and weight!
This is why I think a flex fuel light is best: ability to run on single cr123a, single 18650, 3 AAA, 3 AAA, two to four 18650s. And to be frank, the USA needs to catch up with China on 18650 use.

chanrobi

Newly Enlightened
The future for headlamps I think will be the falling price of reactive technology and fully programmable light levels - a.k.a Petzl Nao. In a couple years we will look back and think how clunky and unmanageable factory defined non changeable brightness settings are, in addition to fixed levels that can only be changed via switch.

http://www.petzl.com/files/fckfiles/image/news/sport/lampes_frontales/10MILA/2012/pano-2-NAO.jpg

Image tags removed see Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

They are already introducing this tech on there lower end models, I probably will not buy another primary headlamp, for house work or for hiking without automatic brightness adjustment ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fully programmable, really? You are talking about future features and cutting edge and the Nao can't go lower than 7 lumens and at best gives a 6 hour runtime? Talk about being behind the times. The new Zebralight H600 mk II and H602 will run for a continuous 5 months, yes 5 months not hours on there low. That Nao in the picture above looks like a clunky headlamp with an equally clunky battery pack on the back end. So not only is it ugly and inefficient, it looks dorky and out of date. The Zebralight with a single 18650 will outperform that Petzl and look better while doing it and also being lighter. I don't get how in 2013 people would still be wanting to buy a headlamp like that when there are much better options.

rojos

Enlightened
Fully programmable, really? You are talking about future features and cutting edge and the Nao can't go lower than 7 lumens and at best gives a 6 hour runtime? Talk about being behind the times. The new Zebralight H600 mk II and H602 will run for a continuous 5 months, yes 5 months not hours on there low. That Nao in the picture above looks like a clunky headlamp with an equally clunky battery pack on the back end. So not only is it ugly and inefficient, it looks dorky and out of date. The Zebralight with a single 18650 will outperform that Petzl and look better while doing it and also being lighter. I don't get how in 2013 people would still be wanting to buy a headlamp like that when there are much better options.

I'm pretty sure that chanrobi was just citing the Nao as an example of how reactive technology may be where headlamps are headed. I don't think he was holding up the Nao itself (and the rest of its features) as the be all end all of headlamps.

I happen to agree with him about reactive technology. I think we'll see it a lot more in the future as the price drops. It's quite convenient and almost elegant compared to manual mode selection if done right.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn;t necessarily care for it then as it would over estimate how many lumen I want to use by trying to keep the lumens at a steady rate compared to the surrounding light. I use the least amount of lumens at any given situation to prolong battery lfe.

NorthernStar

Enlightened

These ideas of improving headlamps are great! :)

1.A soft cushion against the forehead that sits comfortable and is machine washable would be a nice standard feature on all headlamps. I detach the straps on my headlamps and wash them reguarly, especially the one that i use for running that gets sweaty.

2. A rheostatic or a magnetic ring would be a great addition to the UI of headlamps to controll the lumens level! The button should be used to switch to other modes like strobe and other extra functions.

3. If the headlamp have more than just one color of LED´s(multicolors).The other colors could have an own rheostatic/magnetic ring to controll just them,while one rheostatic ring controlling the main LED. For example besides of the standard LED, a red LED to be used at night to preseve nightvision,but it should not have just a standard lumen level of effect like is the case on most flashlights. One should be able to increase and decrease the effect on the color LED as well to find a level that suits one needs.

Regarding programming the light,i don´t feel a need for that feature if the light would have a rheostatic or a magnetic ring ui.

Shorty66

Enlightened
I, too think overall comfort is really important. While Zebralight excels in battery comfort (only one normal size AA, easy opening sealed compartment, lockout) the headbands are a nightmare. I like The ZL UI but i think ZLs don't cover all the needs of a headlamp user. Also, ZLs are comfortable to use handheld, without a headband.
On the other hand Petzl has a crap battery choice, often no regulation, old LEDs and plastic housings. Still, their headbands are much more comfortable and the lamps are more stable on the forehead. Also, i really like the optional diffuser build into some of their lines.
Another comfort feature regarding batteries i would like, is the option to use a belt mounted external battery.

To me, the best headlamp would be

• Small, light like a ZL
  • Metal Housing
  • modern LEDs
  • comfortable, detachable headlband
  • optional external battery-pack
  • standard batteries (AA!)
  • two LEDs, one for flood and one for throw (or maybe a fold-away diffuser)
  • I don't like reactive lighting
  • I would like to have two dial-switches: One to choose between throw and flood, and one for overall brightness

Last edited:

gajslk

Newly Enlightened

I just don't see it. I see them only as a convenience in town. We live in town and there's plenty enough light at night to navigate around the yard without tripping over stuff. And we have a big yard and the neighborhood isn't all that well lit compared to newer ones. And on cloudy nights, enough city light bounces off the clouds to see. So maybe at night in the fog. But it doesn't get foggy here ... Indoors? I flip a switch. I don't need a headlamp any more than I need a shiny new motorcycle or a stainless steel grill ... which doesn't mean I don't need one. ;) But every day? No.

Gordon

chanrobi

Newly Enlightened

You really should read my post again, and maybe you should actually try out the nao.

Your zl light does not have programmable levels nor does it automatically adjust its lighting levels as you go from far to close up work. It also needs a seperate 18650 charger which mine does not need. Simple usb plug in interface that i can charge from my pc or my solar charger in the field.

For me it does not matter how much more efficient or how much larger runtime or brightness there is in other headlamps. The auto adjustment feature is an extreme usability improvement for my purposes. Usability sometimes is more important than pure technical superiority. Ask apple.

This thread is about future tech in headlamps and im sure reactive tech will be widely copied and used in many different headlamps.

InTheDark

Enlightened
A couple of ideas on my wishlist, I don't know if we're talking about realistic improvements or theoretical anything goes type of wishes.

1) Lighter weight is obvious, but is usually high on my list. Improves both stability, and comfort on the head. Although I do think one of the biggest improvements recently has been the hinge-less silicone holder designs of the Zebralight and other designs. Maybe my head is just hard, but I've never had a comfort problem with any headlamp, and sometimes I like the fact that there's no sweat pad to get all nasty, a quick rinse and it's clean.
2) Longer runtimes, brighter light, both. Probably more of a limitation from the battery technology than anything else
3) Focus-able beam going seamlessly from flood to spot, without any adapters or filters to carry around.
4) Reactive technology sounds cool, but I've never tried it. In theory it sounds great if it can be adjusted for each persons preferences. If they can work out any quirks and drop the price, I think it's probably one of the biggest advancements in headlamps since the LED.
5) As long as we're talking future technology, why not predictive focusing and aiming. Although a persons peripheral vision is nearly 180 degrees, the actual cone of focus (or whatever you want to call it) is fairly narrow. If a headlamp could limit the light to where you need it, and aim it where you're looking, it would increase efficiency by not wasting lumens outside the area of focus. Sure there are times you'd still want a flood if you need to see things outside that area, but for the most part you only need the light where you're looking. Cameras and other electronics have had eye controlled focusing in the past, so the technology is there, but I don't think there's enough demand or reason to put it in a headlamp. Just thought I'd throw it out there if we're just brainstorming.

Last edited:

chanrobi

Newly Enlightened
5) As long as we're talking future technology, why not predictive focusing and aiming. Although a persons peripheral vision is nearly 180 degrees, the actual cone of focus (or whatever you want to call it) is fairly narrow. If a headlamp could limit the light to where you need it, and aim it where you're looking, it would increase efficiency by not wasting lumens outside the area of focus. Sure there are times you'd still want a flood if you need to see things outside that area, but for the most part you only need the light where you're looking. Cameras and other electronics have had eye controlled focusing in the past, so the technology is there, but I don't think there's enough demand or reason to put it in a headlamp. Just thought I'd throw it out there if we're just brainstorming.

I was actually thinking this very thing last night when i was camping in the middle of nowhere - you already have trackir for slaving views to small head movements in pc games, eye tracking with adjustable sensitivity without making you sick would be awesome.

I also foresee battery/power drain/bulk issues, but one can always dream