Mag Charger question

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading some claims that the Mag Charger out shines the US and TL I need to get the newest lamp and battery to see for my self. BrighGuy has then but they have two choices for the battery one original Mag and one for the SL20. Which one is better?
grin.gif

Thanks

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Hi JT,

IMO, i would buy those batt
http://www.powerstream.com/index.html
go to Battries & packs then to "Battle Robot Battery Packs" they are using 1/2 D the same as the Mag Ch pack, u can ask them to build for u 5 cell pack. The advantage of having them is that they are 2.5 Amp with a more flat curve than the orig Mag pack (has 2.2 Amp) or SL. It can be discharged at a peak of 98 Amp! It means more run time and longer bright time.

Note: These cells are marked retail, which mean they don't subject to a minimum $200 order! The price for 1 cell is $2.30 so 5 are $11.50 which is cheaper than orig stick.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Powerstream cells in small quantities (10 to 20 cells on two purchases) cost me $3 each shipped. I do like these.

As to the original question, The SL20X pack is made from 2.5 Ah cells while the M/C is made from lower capacity 2.2 Ah cells. 2.5 A/H packs are frequently available from pack assemblers on EBAY for < $20.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
OrenS:

The W/A bulbs are Welch Allyn bulbs that sell for $2.11 @ from the manufacturer on a telephone order or $7.50 @ on an internet order, but are subject to a $100 minimum order. (I've seen resellers ask $19 per bulb for them.)

Pull up this link and search for T-2 1/4 bulbs. You can see what changes to the Lumens output and expected bulb life with varying voltage inputs.

http://www.walamp.com/selectionwizard.asp

Either of these W/A bulbs makes a M/C brighter and whiter than my SL-20X with SL-35 LA.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
>>not outshine an Ultra singer

Dano, I would have thought that too. But at a distance about about 100 yards ... the Maglite won out in my recent "unofficial" test.

I held my Mag Rechargeable (equipped with a new battery and high power bulb) in my right hand .and. my friend's ultra-stringer in my left hand, and shone both lights into the trees across a deer food plot after dark (we were on our way in after a hunt).

I was shocked how much brighter my Mag Charger was than his Ultrastinger, which he keeps on a charger in his truck, so I know the US was fully charged also.

I purchased two of the new high-power replacement bulbs, directly from MagLite, so I could be sure I got the new bulbs ...

Gandalf

Enlightened
I own both styles of UltraStingers (reflectors); one has a more SureFire like beam, and the other gives a tighter spot. I like them both, of course.
icon3.gif

I also own several Magchargers, and I have to say that with the new Magcharger lamp, the Magcharger is able to produce a much tighter and longer reaching beam than either of my US's; and to my eyes, the Magcharger does appear to produce more light than the US. But the MC is a much bigger and heavier light than the US; so it's a trade-off.

I also believe the MC would stand up to more abuse than the US. This is a totally subjective opinion, based mostly on abuse other Maglights have been subjected to; So far I haven't had to hit a charging Rottweiler with my US, but when I did that, repeatedly, with all my strength with a 3 D cell Maglight, the dog was unable to continue the attack, and fled. I was *very* impressed with the strength of the 3 D cell Maglight, which is virtually identical in construction to the Magcharger. I sincerely doubt that the US would have held up as well.

That being said, I actually *use* my US's, much more than my MC's, due to their much more manageable size and weight.

The upgraded lamp for the MC is a significant improvement over the older lamp, and well worth the price, but a MC is still a big, heavy flashlight. It's a real work horse, where the US is more suited to general, everyday use, but perhaps, less abuse.

If I was faced with buying one or the other, I'd pick the US, for it's superior beam, (for shorter or medium distances, of course) smaller size, and much lighter weight.

If I knew the light was going to some rough use, I'd buy the MC.

One other point is that you can carry an extra lamp in the tailcap of the MC; the US cannot carry an extra lamp, and this adds to the MC's ability to operate under hard useage conditions.
HTH
wink.gif

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Lemlux,

yet, I don't own the cells from Powerstream, though i was impressed with their spec. As you have them does it met the written spec?

Thanks

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
OrenS:

I have 2 Mag Chargers, each currently with Powerstream cells.

I drive a W/A 01111 6.0 V 3.35 A 100 hour bulb in one. At this current, the Powerstreams deliver either 5.7 V or 5.9 V, depending upon which of 2 my measurement devices I use. I think the higher voltage is closer to accurate.

I get greater brigntness from a W/A 01160 5.0 V 3.45 A 550 hour bulb that is able to pull similar voltage.

I've never done a timed run test, but I know I've run them over 35 minutes continuously before the batteries had 3 cycles to fully break in.

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
lemlux,

What kind of bulbs are the W/A 01111 & 01160 ?

(It's not the Mag bulbs isn't it?)

Please let me know where we can buy them, are they brighter than the orig?

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Someone has beam pic of MC with Welch Allyn bulbs vs original bulb?

Though i don't own an SL US or HP i like the idea of 2.5H charging time.

Does the US longer than the MC?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by oren1s:
Hi JT,

IMO, i would buy those batt
http://www.powerstream.com/index.html
go to Battries & packs then to "Battle Robot Battery Packs" they are using 1/2 D the same as the Mag Ch pack, u can ask them to build for u 5 cell pack. The advantage of having them is that they are 2.5 Amp with a more flat curve than the orig Mag pack (has 2.2 Amp) or SL. It can be discharged at a peak of 98 Amp! It means more run time and longer bright time.

Note: These cells are marked retail, which mean they don't subject to a minimum $200 order! The price for 1 cell is $2.30 so 5 are $11.50 which is cheaper than orig stick.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can not find where to purchase these.
smile.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtivat:

Hit the "contact us" button for phone number. If you can get them for $2.30 @, great. I expect you'll be able to get them for $3.00 @ shipped for a minimum of 10 and higher for 5.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Gandalf:
.....So far I haven't had to hit a charging Rottweiler with my US, but when I did that, repeatedly, with all my strength with a 3 D cell Maglight, the dog was unable to continue the attack, and fled. I was *very* impressed .....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Gandalf,

This story has "Cafe" written all over it. Would you care to favor us with a more complete account over there?

Brightnorm

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Gandalf ... thanks for your honest opinion about the Mag Charger with the new bulb.

I, too, was absolutely amazed when I compared the "throw" of my old MagCharger, equipped with the new bulb, compared to my friend's US.

Knowing the mindset here, I was afraid I'd get laughed off the webpage.

To be honest, I had a hard time, even believing my own eyes.

Now, don't get me wrong ... I understand "weight" and a whole bunch of other factors would enter into things if I had to carry a Maglight Rechargeable vs an US every day, on the job.

But still, I was impressed with the brightness and throw of the old MagCharger. The new bulb made an amazing difference.

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Jt,

i have e-mailed them, i didn't purchase yet cause of battery weight and shipping costs, i'm located in Israel.

However, herein the contact info u need:

[email protected]
Mark W. Lund, PhD ** Custom Battery Chargers
CEO ** Bulk Cells and Custom Battery Packs
PowerStream Technology ** Custom Power Supplies
140 S. Mountainway Drive ** DC/DC Converters
Orem Utah 84058 ** Custom UPS
http://www.PowerStream.com ** Custom power management electronics
Brigham Young University Alumni e-mail: [email protected]

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by lemlux:
....I have 2 Mag Chargers, each currently with Powerstream cells.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lemlux,

Can the Mag/Powerstreams be left on Mag's charger just like with the regular batteries?

Brightnorm

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm,

The best is to e-mail powerstream, as they make those cells

Lemlux,

Hope not offending u, it wasn't the point, my apology if did :)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
oren1s:

I'm not at all offended. When I first ordered the cells they weren't tagged as retail. I talked to someone (it might have been Mark Lund)who offered to sell me 20 for $3 @. He agreed to cover shipping only after being asked.

I've seen postings from others who were asked to pay shipping on top of a price of > $3 for 5 units. I later ordered another 10 units for $3 @ shipped.

If the price is now lower I'm happy for CPF. I wanted people to know that a precedent existed for free shipping at $3.00 per cell with a 10-cell minimum.

If you're talking about Brightnorm's post, Brightnorm may have more confidence in my inclinations than may be prudent. I would look at Powerstream's FAQ section on charging NiMHs and NiCads -- Its interesting. It describes why PS thinks it is safe to continuously trickle charge NiMHs at a rate of somewhere between 0.02 C and 0.05 C depending on manufacturer.

In practice, I never leave any cell on trickle charge for more than 18 hours or so. I do top up my NiCads in the flashlight occasionally, but I prefer to place them in a fixture and use a more precise charger. I personally don't like the > 200 or 300 ma charge rate of the SL's or mag Charger as an extended trickle charge rate.

Illuminated

Enlightened
I paid $10 shipping on my first order of 10 of those cells from Powerstream. I was charged the same $10 shipping on my second order of 5 cells. The price per cell was $3 each on both orders.

I never thought to haggle over the shipping charges...

As for charging, I use a common unregulated 16-18 volt DC power supply fitted with an LM317 and two resistors on a SPDT switch, configured for constant current output. The switch connects either of the two resistors for 50 mA or 150 mA output. I use the lower current for standby charging, and sometimes the higher current for slightly faster charging, or when charging higher-capacity cells.

I can charge a single cell, or up to about a dozen cells in series if needed. I only charge groups of cells that have been discharged together in the same device so as not to mix cells with varying discharge levels.

It works very well, and seems to be very kind to batteries. It's perfect for topping-off cells that see short-term intermittent use, which is the majority of my battery usage.

Cells NEVER get warm to touch at these current levels, even when left connected for extended periods.

I often monitor voltage levels and disconnect when I know the cells are fully charged.

John