Sonicare Toothbrush...The Future of Rechargable Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anybody seen a sonicare rechargable toothbrush? is has a magnet in the base that recharges the toothbrush. you set it in this stand, it has no contacts, just plastic handle base to plastic stand.

it's sharp looking, it doesn't look like a charger. fit and finish is excellent, the plastic is slick and heavy. seems very high quality. the wifey is a dental assistant so she got it cheap.
smile.gif

anyway, could this be possible for rechargable lights in the near future?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had one for about a year. Always thought the chargeing system was neat, but don't know how much current it can handle. TX

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm sure the technology isn't there right now, or too exspensive, for it to charge a light and have decent run time. the instructions say it takes 24hrs to fully charge.

it sure can rattle your teeth though!
shocked.gif

beemerphile

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by txwest:
...but don't know how much current it can handle. TX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Enough to melt it into the holder if you built it that way. The concept is not limited to low currents. It is a nice charging concept, it is also a fine toothbrush. - Lee

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello tkl,

Do you have any idea how these chargers work? I took the screws out of the charger and found out that it is all potted in. I took a paper clip to see if it was magnetic, and if so it is really weak.

24 hour charge time may no be good for a flashlight that is in everday use, but one that is on standby for when the power goes out, it might work out well.

Tom

Saaby

Flashaholic
Guess what else uses this EXACT same charging technique? Both of Darell's EVs that's what. It's called "Inductive Charging." It's like a AC/DC transformer--half the coil is in the base half is in the brush.

It's great for toothbrushes! It means you can fully submerse your toothbrush (While charging if you want!) and it won't run anything. It's a dumb idea for EVs--it means you have to have a separate charger to make your car go, but that's a whole 'nuther thread.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

if only Mr. Gransee were amenable to this method of charging his flashlights, dude..

Illuminated

Enlightened
I had recently been thinking of this very concept for charging a flashlight. Correctly so, essentially two halves of a transformer. Not necessarily the most efficient of power transfer methods, but then it doesn't have to be if using standard house current to power the charger.

Oh well, guess it's not a novel idea after all.

John

LoneRebel

Enlightened
I have heard of a similar system developed for use with palm pilots. You basically have a mouse pad looking thing on your desk and if you lay your palm pilot on the pad it will start recharging.

Status
Not open for further replies.