La Police Gear L1 + L2 flashlights

TheVat26

Enlightened
For all those in Southern California, Lapg has now opened a storefront. So I went in today to see if I could test out their new line of lights. I was surprised how these did.

I won't get too much in the individual specs as you can see them on their site.
First the L1. The build quality is pretty good. The walls are not super thick, but plenty durable enough for LE use. The surface has very grippy knurling; sweaty/wet/oily hands, it won't slip out. The pocket clip has a lip allowing it to slide in thick pockets, and takes quite a bit of force to remove.

The rear switch has a good amount on tension and the surface is grippy with nice texture. The intent in the tail switch has a good space for your thumb and doesn't require your thumb to be in just one spot to activate. The head is large with heatsinks. The lens is glass and anti reflective. Bery deep, smooth reflector. The threads look triangular cut, and appear as decent as Klarus' for comparison. Has O rings at head and tail and look plenty water resistant.

I have average size hands and it feels very nice to hold. My pinky finger stops at the base of the head, and the clip isn't affecting my hold.

Beam. This thing will throw. I was in one of Lapg's dark hallways at 25 yards and the hotspot was probably about 4-5 feet across and the spill provided tons of illumination. Comparing to my Klarus XT2C (470 version), the XT2C's hotspot was about double the size and appeared about 40-50% as bright. The spill between the two was close with the L1 being a little brighter. Spill brightness is pretty comparable to a Klarus RS/XT11. I have no doubt the L1 is pushing 750-800 lumens.

The beam is a little cooler than my xt2c, with the L1 giving slight blueish tint, but color rendering is very good. Zero artifacts in the hotspot and with the transition to the spill. I couldn't recognize a distinctive corona as it really does blend well. There was only a faint ring around the outermost edge of the spill. It is not within your periphery vision. Your eyes will typically be following the hotspot and the corona. I barely noticed it and doubt it would be seen during outdoor use. I didn't have specs but I would guess this thing has a cd of 11-13000.

The interface is pretty well thought out, and very similar to Nitecore Mt series. The only exception is head tightened is High, strobe. It will always start in high with a momentary press or constant on click. To get strobe, you must momentary press or click twice within 3/4 of a second. For typical LE momentary use of high being the desired setting, strobe won't be activated unless you intentionally activate the button within the 3/4 second. Pretty good and I find acceptable for field use. General mode as I stated earlier is just like the MT series.

When on high, the head does get warm, but doesn't get uncomfortable. I was told that at 5 minutes on max, the light will turn off and not step down. If you immedietly click it back on it will again activate though. I hoped it would step down versus shut off but for LE use, If I needed a light for more than 5 minutes constant, I could make due with the medium mode which is 330 lumens and puts out close to the level of light my xt2c does. I would guess this does not have a dedicated thermal sensor but rather a timer. I was using it for a good 20 minutes on max with random on and off usage and the brightness stayed constant and the head was always safe to hold.

I forgot to mention that I tested this with both SL cr123's and my personal Eagletac protected 18650 3100 mah batteries. The 18650 fit very well and there was still a little room inside to possible fit a 3400 mah. Don't quote me for sure on the 3400 one, but the 3100 (white/red label one) eagletac fit nice.

i can't think of much more but please query away if I missed something.

Now the L2. It's a bit thinner and shorter than my xt2c, so it's very pocketable. Same great knurling as the l1, switch, clip, threads, o rings, glass lens (smaller diameter of course), smooth reflector, and interface.

Although the head is smaller, this throws a hotspot (25 yards distance) about 3/4 the size of my xt2c. Both the spill and hotspot appear about 30-40% brighter than my xt2c. The head gets warm/hot, but not too hot to hold. I used it for about 10 minutes on on/off at max and it maintained brightness and didn't shut off.

These lights put out performance in the 80-100 dollar range at half the price. Best bang for the buck on the market right now. I don't work for La police gear, just a fellow enthusiast looking to spread the word.

TheVat26

Enlightened
So I rec'd my L2 today. All my previous impressions still stand for the the production version.

The light arrived in a nice padded box. The threads come decently lubed and the led was perfectly centered. I relubed them with Nyogel and now they are butter smooth. Good finish and the clip has a nice satin look. Led looks like an XML T6. Good news is that this light steps down to medium if left on high for three minutes. It does not shut off requiring another activation to resume output. Once it steps down, if you turn off and on it will resume max output.

I am pleasantly surprised that there are zero rings outside the spill. The pre production models had faint rings outside the spill, but the factory fixed that. When I first tested the light, I thought the L2 was a little cooler in tint than the xt2c, but now it looks more white leading to excellent color rendering.

I really like the medium and low modes. During stepdown from high, there isn't too much difference in raw output (indoor and outdoor range) so there is no pressing need to turn off and on to get the max back on. The low is great for upclose work. The medium and low retain a neutral white tint with no green hues.

The strobe isn't as fast as the xt2c, but plenty annoying. The supplied holster is very nice and has a space in the elastic for spare cr123's.

So if you're looking for an affordable tac light with plenty of light, useable interface, and lifetime warranty, then this is a solid choice.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
worthless.gif

TheVat26

Enlightened
Sorry I don't have some beam shots. Don't have a camera good enough to capture it. They are made in China.

TheVat26

Enlightened
One more update everyone. So I rec'd my L1 about a week ago and have used it a bunch. Believe it or not, but I prefer this over my Eagletac T200C2. The weight balance on the L1 is biased more at the head, and there is more room to grip with the L1 being about 1/2" longer. The head seems to have a lot more mass and did throw a little better. 125 yards with the L1? No problem and its good for another 75+ yards easy. The spill size on the L1 seems a little wider than the T200C2.

The L2 is a decent little light and appears to share bodies and tailcaps with the L1, but the quality of the head really sets it apart from the L2. The head feels like a solid piece of steel and the mode switching and head twisting is much smoother. The beam patterns between the L1 and L2 are completely different. The l2 throws a concentrated, neutral white wall of light like turning on the lights indoors, while the L2 has the same overpowering spill with a very intense hotspot. Outdoors the L1 makes the L2 look like it even isn't on which is quite good because the L2 throws a great beam at close to mid range.

Thr rear switch remains stiff, but I guess I've become used to the resistance. I trust the heatsinking on the T200c2 plenty, but I have much more confidence in running the L1 on max for extended periods due to the beefy head. Like the L2, this does not shut off after being on max for 3+ minutes. It does step down to medium, and again the medium has near enough punch to the max setting that there is no pressing need to resume max. I really like the medium setting which remains neutral with no green hues.

The supplied holster again is so much nicer than anything Ive seen as included accessory packs. Firm, the lips retains shape, and just feels like a premium piece.

I am beyond impressed with the L1. Due to the size of the L2, I will edc this light as its more concealable and puts out a fantastic white flood. But if my clothes are baggy enough, then I will surely have the L1 in my pocket.

I am sure most if us has more lights than we need, but these L1+L2 lights surely can hold their own with the big makes. Edc roles the L2 will do everything you need it to. For LE duty use, security, hiking, then the L1 should surely excell and find a place in your pocket or belt.

BigK

Newly Enlightened
I got a L2 in the mail this week. The first day I carried it, the clip popped off 4 times. I was carrying it in my left front pocket. It popped off twice when I reached in the pocket to grab something else and twice when I was just walking (lucky I didn't lose the clip these 2 times). That's the only weakness I see in the light.

I ordered a Solarforce replacement clip from Lighthound and a couple of GITD o-rings and it's good to go now.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I am a clip guy. I love the look and price of the L1 but I would need a secure clip. Did the solarforce clip work well? Anybody find another clip that holds on tight? Anybody care to share some pics of this light and beam shots? I know the website has pics but it is fun to see members pics and hear insight imo.

thospress

Newly Enlightened
I, too, am much impressed with the L1, and may add the L2 (which I need not at all). I'm not sure "high" in the non-tactical mode is identical the the tactical "high" (not quite as bright), but both high settings are still crazy bright.