Question About 4 Sevens Mini ML vs. ML-X

hcd615

Enlightened
Question About 4 Sevens Mini ML vs. ML-X

So I saw a few videos and I thought I would try the light out and buy one. I went to the 4 Sevens website. I notice that the Mini ML is 3/180 lumens and the Mini ML-X is 1/210. Is the 1 lumen too low for practical use and is there really that much of a noticeable difference between 180 and 210 lumens. I will be using it for around my neck or a little backup. I have plenty of SF lights that are 200, 500, 900 lumens. I am looking for a little EDC light. You thoughts on which I should buy and why please. Thank you!

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think 1 lumen is too low for practical use. There is barely any difference between 180 and 210 lumens, although I should mention the ML-X on the FourSevens website is the XM-L2 version but the specs are listed as XM-L. The 2 MLs listed are XP-G and XP-G2. FourSevens said the XM-L2/G2 should be ~20% brighter so the ML-X would be ~252 lumens, and the ML Gen. 2 would be ~216 lumens. Still, not much difference. For EDC, I recommend the ML-X as the XM-L2 LED has a wider beam (more flood) and is more practical for every day usage.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I suggest you take a look at the Nitecore SRT3 Defender. Totally happy with this light. 550lm, takes RCR123/CR123/AA/14500. You've got both flexibility and power, infinitely variable light via a magnetic ring, forward clicky switch and a secondary red/blue led light. Can't ask for much more from an edc light.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest you take a look at the Nitecore SRT3 Defender. Totally happy with this light. 550lm, takes RCR123/CR123/AA/14500. You've got both flexibility and power, infinitely variable light via a magnetic ring, forward clicky switch and a secondary red/blue led light. Can't ask for much more from an edc light.
I'm pretty sure OP's looking for a backup light (or possibly an around-the-neck light). Despite the SRT3 using a single cell, it would be way too large as a backup as it is almost twice the size of an ML/ML-X.

hcd615

Enlightened
Just called 4 Sevens, I am going with the ML for further throw.

Just ordered it and I will have it tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened
Is the 1 lumen too low for practical use.

Not at all. You may find it your most-used mode. Before I bought my QP2A-X, I didn't think I'd have much use for the moonlight 0.3 lumen mode. Turns out it's one of the modes I use most frequently, because it doesn't wreck my night-vision, nor bother sleeping people. I've since bought lights with even lower modes than this, and I'd never get an EDC without a sub-lumen mode again.