Another Surefire 9AN conversion

m4a1usr

Enlightened
After buying a Surefire 9AN Commander and looking at it's weaker points I decided to research some mod's that others might have accomplished to see how viable the 9AN can be with newer technology. Some mod's looked a bit beyond my capability, even though I have a Jewelers lathe, while others looked over the top in terms of what the light would end up becoming. I decided a simple LED upgrade was my goal and to design it so that both the B90 packs could be used as well as a set of 18650's.Turned out pretty darn well. Cost was minimal and this ole girl now has been resurrected to a decent modern version. You be the judge.

First came the parts selection which I was going to be using. I decided on a 35mm reflector from DealeXtreme. It would fit the stock head once that was properly machined for internal clearance. Initialy I thought the threads on the reflector would accept any of the P60/D26 pill's common to 18mm regulators but found out the threads on the reflector were designed for some pill I do not know about. No worries though as I ended up using a piece of 3/4 inch copper tubing.
I began with a XML U3 LED board and a 4-16 volt single mode regulator from FastTech. Both good enough to begin with. I can always unsolder the board and add something "hotter" if I want the output brighter. But for now one amp is enough and compared to the stock lamp assy the difference is like night and day.
First picture is of the stock components.

Second picture is of the head/ bezel.The hardest part was making a bezel removal tool. Turned out a 3/4 inch thread nut with 6 points was a pretty good begining. Slightly over sized, but with a rat's tail file it was modified well enough to fit the bezel. A M3 bezel removal tool was not going to work. Just took some time for "refinement".

Third picture is of the head already modified with the components installed. I soldered 22 gauge wires to the LED board than used some Artic Aluminia to electricaly insulate the wires since I planned on using the same adhesive to attach the LED to the backside of the reflector. After the adhesive set and was still tacky I made up another batch and gooped up the LED side, inserted it in and did my best at centering the LED. Than added a bunch more to the back side so it made good contact all around the sides. Should be more than enough of a heat conductor as is.

Fourth picture is of the backside of the completed build. You can see the adhesive around the end of the reflector extension. (3/4 inch copper tubing inside). I used a bunch of adhesive to glue in the reflector. After I installed the reflector and the glue was still not set I installed the lense to apply pressure to ensure the reflector was trued to the glass.

Fifth picture is of the negative polarity washer I needed to use to enable the light body to be used as a conductor. This allows using either the stock B90 packs or the pair of 18650's which was going to be my preference.

Sixth picture shows the washer where it is supposed to fit. The washer started as 1 1/4 inch diameter but had to be reduced down to 1 1/8th to fit. The ID was 1/2 inch and since I was going to use an insulating grommet I opened it up to 9/16.

Seventh picture is self explanatory. Just shows the clearance of the center spring.

This was a very fun project and turned out pretty nice even though I didnt plan it out very well. Wish I had taken more photo's of the head while the reflector was still out. Would have shown how deep the inside needs to get cut so the 35mm reflector fits. But I was in a hurry and really wanted to get the job done. I guess it really doesnt really matter though since fitting the reflector is an absolute requirement. Sure was tough to cut the inside at first because the stock reflector is actually integral to the 9AN head and it was perfect yet needed to be destroyed. It's not a seperate removable part like many other Surefire lights.

Last edited:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks fantastic!
Did you replace the reflector entirely somehow or was there some machining magic involved?
That little extra hole for the low output lamp has stopped modders from thinking about this line for as long as I remember...

m4a1usr

Enlightened
That looks fantastic!
Did you replace the reflector entirely somehow or was there some machining magic involved?
That little extra hole for the low output lamp has stopped modders from thinking about this line for as long as I remember...

I was worried about that offset hole myself so I started the project by drilling out the center bulb hole first. And I went in from the back side since I wanted it to be as close to center axis as possible. It took about 20 minutes just to get that hole drilled. I dont have anything I felt comfortable chucking the head in so I just held onto it while I opened it up in a series of steps up the 3/4" I needed before doing the last cut (.875) on my lathe.

The reflector I chose was from DealExtreme. It had about all the required dimensions necessary (Length & Diameter) and looked like with some basic contouring of the inside the SF head it was going to fit. Just had to observe the "golden" rule. Measure twice, cut once. The part number is SKU 14599. Since the stock 9AN reflector is actually integral to the head I had no choice but to cut the area out and than use the dimensions of the new one as my guide. But once glued in its hard to even tell from the outside that its not a SF product. That is unless your a flashaholic.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! I have a 9N that would benefit by a mod like yours! Well done! A+++

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
did You try with the original reflector?
Widen the hole if necessary, or similar?
That not work good?

because with milling the original one out, to give space for the added one, that setup can not be put back into original ...

PS: I wonder that the XM-L @ 1 A can compete with the original bulb
:thinking:

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
did You try with the original reflector?
Widen the hole if necessary, or similar?
That not work good?

because with milling the original one out, to give space for the added one, that setup can not be put back into original ...

PS: I wonder that the XM-L @ 1 A can compete with the original bulb
:thinking:
I didn't want to try the conversion with the stock reflector due to the second hole for the low lumen element. Beam deformity was my concern but it turns out that adding a different dimensioned reflector added much more throw to size of reflector. Both were approximately the same diameter reflectors. But had different depths with the FT version deeper. That was what swayed me since deeper reflectors seem to all ways have better throw. There is no question the XML puts out more lumens. I will post some pictures of my XML conversion compared to my M61 Malkoff at the same distance. It's amazing. A N90 bulb on high is like 110 lumens. A Malkoff M61 is 325 lumens. The 9AN conversion is simply awesome.

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
While doing another LED conversion to a Commander I discovered that a Z46 bezel fits. Had no clue. Now that gives the ole girl some teeth!

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Newly Enlightened
Knowing the Z46 fits, sure lowers the intensity of the conversion. Thanks for posting up that bit of info...

whitten1855

Newly Enlightened
Would love more info about the making the conversion with the Z46 bezel. My 9AN served me well for years and I would love to get it back in the game. I am not up to the conversation described above however.

JoeAsheville

Newly Enlightened
It turns out...it doesn't.

Both the bezel and 9AN have internal threads, which won't work. Operating on bad information...I bought something I can't use (bezel and lamp).

I'm a little irritated.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
My 9AN took the Z46 bezel without any issues. Make sure you start the threads correctly because it's real easy to cross them up
image.jpg1_zpsjzidyukv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JoeAsheville

Newly Enlightened

Female and female.

Ordinarily I'm into that sort of thing, but not normally in conjunction with flashlights.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Ahhh, I see where the confusion was. M4a1usr was talking about the bezel ring fitting and not the Z46 head itself threading onto the 9AN.

JoeAsheville

Newly Enlightened
Yep...big difference between BEZEL...and RETAINER.

Looks like I have a catch and release with the Z46 I just picked up...

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Well it finally happened. I got the McClicky switch conversion for the 9AN light completed. Certainly took long enough. A project in the works for more than 2 years! Works great and I even cut the switch holder for a O-ring to maintain the factory internal seal. But it's a monster. Need to make some cuts to get the weight down a bit although it does make the light a bit more balanced.