McGizmo Happiness

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had to guess which custom builder's lights have enjoyed the greatest number of reviews with the highest percentage of positive comments, who do you think it would be?

There are many from which to choose… and it seems that the numbers have grown. So let's 'filter' that a bit – actual "builders" – not modification artists (do you like that? "Modification Artists?") ;)

Now let's filter down more to builders who have been active and remain active on CPF for at least five years.

Then, let's filter it to builders who use titanium as their metal of choice…

That leaves a relatively short list, and they are all excellent people and builders. Mac, Cool Fall and certainly others – but the subject of this brief salute is McGizmo.

After "straying" for a while ;) I just received the third of my perfect trifecta, a 119V Mule with a 123 McClicky pak. Just awesome. Purchased with the primary reason of helping my 55 year old contact lens equipped eyes to read small print in text books (began my 'second career' as a college instructor. Good bye corporate world!!) Secondary reason was for the occasional photograph of small stuff up close – you know, like flashlights.

As my great friend Scout24 and I often discuss, the simple business model of Don McLeish is near perfect. Don builds what he builds – if you like the choices, buy one. If you don't, please look elsewhere. He'll send you your invoice at the same time he sends the shipping notice. There's no waiting 6 months while your money is in limbo…no deposits, no "pay and pray…." You order, and you are shipped a light. I don't believe Don has had to deal with any dead beats – I could be wrong, but it seems that the business model is near perfect. The lights are simple and reliable. Oh, they might could have higher highs and lower lows, but at the end of the day, as Scout24 said, they are "tools" and they are near peerless when put into use as the tools that they are intended to be. And the output levels are very useful and functional.

So the trifecta as simple. An AA High CRI Haiku with 119V. A High CRI Haiku 119V with 123 Pak. A High CRI Mule 119V with 123 Pak.

Do you notice a pattern here? All you lumen hounds, stop reading now. :eek:

All you high CRI lovers, take note. :D

These 3 lights are just about all I use any more. Oh, there's a beautiful Oveready modded Surefire C2 with a sweet EDC+ 219 Triple – beautiful, powerful flood. And there's a Surefire E2DL Ultra that is amazing – called into action when I need a powerful throw for dog walking at night.

But for EDC, it's the Haiku, with the AA Haiku in backup/bedside table duty, (where it shares space with one of my other favorite lights, a Cool Fall Spy 007 with XPG2 emitter.)

And when I need that flood of perfect illumination for reading, it's the mule.

The tint of these lights is perfect for me. Don mentions in one of his threads that the 119 is more 'creme' and the 119V is more 'rose'...that's a great assessment. But the color rendering is amazing, and the beam is very easy on the eyes - almost soothing. The shape of the beam is that same, as PSM said long ago, "punchy flood" with a very minimal outer ring - my old 119 version had a more pronounced dark outer ring.

This isn't a review. It isn't an "ode" or an "essay." It's likely all been said before. It's just a note of appreciation in the LED forum for a builder and a product that have both stood the test of time. And you'll find many such posts from many different members (including me) in the McGizmo sub forum, but I wanted to put something out in the LED forum. (Mods, if this should be somewhere else, I apologize – please move it as necessary.)

Yes, I strayed – but I'm back. And with a big smile on my face!

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the thread. I've been thinking about giving myself a nice light as a birthday present, and McGizmo it at the top of the list.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one McGimzo. 119V with a 123 clicky pack. Love it. A 119v mule with AA clicky pack has been on my list for quite a while. One day, maybe. If you don't mind, which subject will you be teaching? Congrats on your new career.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one McGimzo. 119V with a 123 clicky pack. Love it. A 119v mule with AA clicky pack has been on my list for quite a while. One day, maybe. If you don't mind, which subject will you be teaching? Congrats on your new career.

I don't mind at all! Mostly international business, but some marketing as well. :)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
@run4jc

what kind of UI do your lights have? is it the same as this here?

:)

i think it's called forward clicky with mode memory and no tactical momentary activation.

and how about PWM? this Haiku model has PWM on Low and Med modes:

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
@run4jc

what kind of UI do your lights have? is it the same as this here?

i think it's called forward clicky with mode memory and no tactical momentary activation.

and how about PWM? this Haiku model has PWM on Low and Med modes:

Yes, UI is the same, although I usually change levels using a light momentary press. It's more sensitive with an RCR - requires a quicker shift - but it works flawlessly. Of course, it has mode memory so it always comes on in the last mode used. I use "it" generically as it applies to all three of mine. As for PWM, I am fortunate that I am not sensitive to it, although I seem to remember reading something about the new 3S converter not having as noticeable of PWM effects? As I say, I have a hard time seeing it anyway...

I've lost track of how many Haikus I've owed over the past 4 years. Bought my first one - an XRE - back in 2009. Wrote a long, wordy 'review' back in 2010. The amazing thing is that they have all been in the original version of the host - just upgrades to the emitters, reflectors, and I believe the converters. Each change has made them, IMHO, better

Last edited:

Moka

Enlightened
Agreed completely, I'm not a huge fan of brand loyalty in most cases, but this is one I'll always stick with.
I've had a few 'lumen cannons' that I've tried, but my Sundrop XR-U and Haiku Hi-CRI, lower flux or not, still get used the most.

Bright enough, tough as nails, and the right tool for the job on most occasions. :thumbsup:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. My McGizmo Haikus are easily my favorite lights. Come to think about it, been EDCing them everyday since I received it 2 years back in October 2011 and I never got bored with it. It is so simple to use but it has kept me excited as always to use it. There's no need for blinkies and disco modes. Just plain simple and beautiful. Ergonomically it just fits like it was made for my hands. Everything about this light just seemed so well thought out in every aspects.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andy, that looks like the ti VME head, right Redhat?
My apologies. What I meant was what is the drop in running in the Malkoff Ti VME? Anyway, I have been lurking awhile for a Ti VME head but when it does come up once in awhile on CPFMP it is so expensive I gave up.

Redhat703

Enlightened
The 2x123 Pak has a M361N running AW 17670, and the 123 Pak has a M31 Nichia 219 running a primary. Sometimes, I put the M31 onto the AA Pak just for fun.
Yes, the VME Ti head is now very hard to find, and you'll have to act quick when one pops up in CFMP. I've been in luck getting 3 of them :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2x123 Pak has a M361N running AW 17670, and the 123 Pak has a M31 Nichia 219 running a primary. Sometimes, I put the M31 onto the AA Pak just for fun.
Yes, the VME Ti head is now very hard to find, and you'll have to act quick when one pops up in CFMP. I've been in luck getting 3 of them :)
Thanks! You also confirmed that the 2x123 Pak does that AW 17670. This was a question I posted somewhere in the McGizmo forums quite some time back and never really got down to trying.

Redhat703

Enlightened
The 2x123 Pak originally did not fit an AW 17670. I bored the pak myself with a drill and some wet sand papers:)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2x123 Pak originally did not fit an AW 17670. I bored the pak myself with a drill and some wet sand papers:)
Where's my bubble???

Awwww.... You burst it! Lol! I was about to order a 2X123 Pak. Luckily I read your post before placing my order.

Redhat703

Enlightened
Where's my bubble???

Awwww.... You burst it! Lol! I was about to order a 2X123 Pak. Luckily I read your post before placing my order.

Sorry about that :). The 2x123 Pak has been hit and miss for 17670. Some people had confirmed their Paks work fine, some not. In my case, the whole battery fits perfectly in the tube except the top (about 1/4").

Does anyone know if the new 16650 li-ion cell fits the 2x123 Pak?
The 16650 should fit cause it has same size with 2x primaries.