Surefire G2 nitrolon vs. UK SL6

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered a Surefire G2 nitrolon today and I
wonder if it has a longer throw than my UK SL6.
Does anybody know ?

ToddM

Enlightened
I haven't done the comparison but considering the SL6 is probably one of the tightest beamed lights out there and no slouch in output I'd guess it will easily out throw the G2 with a P60 bulb.

Just some specs from Brock's site.

SL6 - 7.6 watts focus = 1.5' Cp at 7m = 60,000

P60 - 5.3 watts focus = 2' CP at 7m = 12,000

So I'd say the SL6 from that data and previous posts would easily out throw the P60 with a much smaller brighter beam. Most if not all the surefire's (non-turbos) are a fairly wide beam they have a brighter hotspot and a wide outer flood of light. The SL6 is a tight pencil like beam with little outer flood of light.

I'm sure someone has compared them directly and can comment more.

Todd

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Kaneda:
I have ordered a Surefire G2 nitrolon today and I
wonder if it has a longer throw than my UK SL6.
Does anybody know ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Kaneda,

The G2 and the other Surefire 2x123 lights using either the P60 or P61 lamps will not out throw the SL6.

The non-turbo SF lamps are not designed specifically for long throw, but have a beam calculated to be the best compromise between brightness, throw and area of illumination, especially for professional work.

Your G2Z will have a perfectly decent throw, but it is not meant to excel in that department. The SF turboheads with their special lamps will give you extraordinary throw, probably the longest throw of any lights in their size/weight class.

Todd's post is right on target, but I'd like to add that the SL6's beam is actually less pencil-like than specs might lead you to believe. Even though the hotspot is far from perfect and contains some filiment image and other anomalies,
at 25' it is roughly 36" x 30" with a noticeable if not intense surround.

If you want a light for EDC the SL6 would not be an ideal choice at 8" x 2.25" and 1lb 6oz. NTL, it is probably the most compact light in its class and I belt carried it for several days without too much discomfort.

If long throw in a 2x123 light is your primary goal there are two lights that are currently supreme in that category. The ASP Taclite and the TACM III. Here is one of the more detailed threads about those lights:

ASP TACLITE & TACM III

Brightnorm

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
hmmmm... sounds interesting.
I'd just like to know how long the throw of the
G2 is. Can I illuminate something that is about
100 meters away ? I asked the german dealer ph-import and I was told that the G2 throws about 100 meters far. What do you think ?
thanks in advance,

Kaneda

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Kaneda:
hmmmm... sounds interesting.
I'd just like to know how long the throw of the
G2 is. Can I illuminate something that is about
100 meters away ? I asked the german dealer ph-import and I was told that the G2 throws about 100 meters far. What do you think ?
thanks in advance,

Kaneda
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I will be polite and say that the German dealer was stretching the facts. If you ordered the G2 for that purpose I'm afraid you will disappointed.
Even the TACLITE and the TACM III would be stretched at that distance.

When the G2 arrives, enjoy it within its design parameters and you will be happy.

Brightnorm

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Using my G2 at night outside, and even with sodium street lighting, shining at trees as far as my eyes can see I could still detect the whiteness of the hotspot on the tree leaves.

artar

Enlightened
kaneda,

maybe in total darkness the G2 will throw a good beam about 60-70 m.

my E2 is listet with 60-100 meter at ph-import.com. my experience says it throws to max 40 meters. but in that area of 40 meters you can see everything in your sight.

A UKE 2L or 4AA will throw further (maybe 100 meters), but you will see only a small spot in about 100 meters.

Maybe the new Peli M6 throws better with more peripheral light.

If you really need to spot about 100 meters a UKE SL4/SL6, Peli StealthLite, etc would do a better job.