Can anyone verify Nitecore SRT6 now shipping with U2 binned emitter?

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
O.k. I am the guy who comes to CPF maybe once a year. I try to catch up on state of the art, order a light or two, and then crawl back under my dark rock and play with my new toys til my spidey sense tells me something substantially more advanced has come out. I peeked out a few days ago, decided I liked the SRT6 and ordered one from Battery Junction. I really wanted grey but they only had black. I was a bit put off when I got an email saying shippong was delayed on a "SRT6-U2-BLK." THEN I zeroed in on the "U2" part of that. I had since found a grey T6 binned light and ordered it. Now I have the conundrum of which one to cancel the order on... Does anyone know if Nitecore is shipping U2 binned SRT6 lights? That extra 7% output would put the light right at an even 1000 lumens, and I am funny that way about liking round numbers...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just called and found out that U2 is the correct new bin (at least at B.J.) and furthermore they had a grey U2 in stock. So following CPF doctrine, I bought both (the T6 bin was considerably discounted at the other vendor and now I can compare bins) Mods, do I need to remove mention of the actual vendor from the original post or is it kosher as-is?

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
I guess no one else is excited that the SRT6 might now be right at 1000 lumens if they didn't modify the drive current. A post like this a few years ago would have drawn a feeding frenzy for more info. I guess I am not up with the times anymore.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I guess no one else is excited that the SRT6 might now be right at 1000 lumens if they didn't modify the drive current. A post like this a few years ago would have drawn a feeding frenzy for more info. I guess I am not up with the times anymore.

I am! I like XM-L2 U2 over XM-L2 T6! If the choice have been the same when I baught my SRT7, i would have choosed the XM-L2 U2 instead of the T6. Where did you find the U2 version?Is Nitecore going to offer the SRT7 in XM-L2 U2 as well?

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
I cant imagine why they wouldn't based on emitter availability. It just doesn't seem to be an advertized upgrade and I am strictly going on a part number. Maybe I can verify once I have both lights in hand whether there is any perceiveable difference in output... I am sure right now that probably both bins are in stock and it is a crap shoot as to which one you would get.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I cant imagine why they wouldn't based on emitter availability. It just doesn't seem to be an advertized upgrade and I am strictly going on a part number. Maybe I can verify once I have both lights in hand whether there is any perceiveable difference in output... I am sure right now that probably both bins are in stock and it is a crap shoot as to which one you would get.

Yes, please verify that when you received it. I've visited Nitecores website, and there the T6 version is the only available,so it does not looks like an advertised upgrade.

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
By the way, Battery Junction is the vendor that seems to have the U2 binned SRT6s. Again just basing this conclusion on a part number and nothing more.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
By the way, Battery Junction is the vendor that seems to have the U2 binned SRT6s. Again just basing this conclusion on a part number and nothing more.

I looked at BJ webpage and it says NITECORE-SRT7-U2-GRY about the SRT7. We have to find out if it's a typo, or if this is correct that they are available with U2 diods.

y260

Enlightened
I think it's a huge selling point when a light's lumens hit four figures. This is definitely something we should get to the bottom of...

MMA10mm

Newly Enlightened
Any update?

I hope Gliderguy comes back with comparison and confirmation of the U2. Hopefully, he hasn't slipped back under that rock! :)

NorthernStar

Enlightened
When looking at BJ website and reading the product specifications, it still says: White LED CREE XM-L2 T6 about all the lights in the SRT series, so i guess they all still have XM-L2 T6 diods. I don´t think that there is any upgrades.

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
After calling BJ back their product manager did some research and told me they enter their own part numbers and it was simply a typo from a previous first gen XM-L light with a U2 bin, and not an XM-L2. to the best of his and my knowlege their SRT6 is T6 bin.

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
Sad, but thank you for the report.

Sad? You wouldn't notice any difference until you hold the two versions next to each other which I'm assuming you will never do. And even then I highly doubt you could see any increase in output.

MMA10mm

Newly Enlightened
Sad? You wouldn't notice any difference until you hold the two versions next to each other which I'm assuming you will never do. And even then I highly doubt you could see any increase in output.

Good point. That raises an interesting question: At what "steps" or levels of output does the human eye notice increases in illumination? Intuitively, I'm thinking this changes with brightness level, such as: we can notice the change from 1 lumen to 5 lumens, but to have a noticeable difference in the SRT6 we'd have to jump from 930 to, what, maybe 1200 or more lumens?

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
Double is less than you would think. It would be hard to call an increase of 10% by eye with both lights in hand if the bin color wasn't exactly the same. I think going up a bin on the XM-L2 is about an average of 7.2% more light.