10 Year EDC - ARC LSHF-P

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
10 years ago I wondered if there wasn't something more than the usual Maglite, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac offerings. A search on the Internet brought me to CPF. Except for my finances, it has been a glorious discovery. Based on the favorable posts, I decided on a ARC LSHF-P as my first "real" flashlight. My light, SN 2001, left the factory on November 18th, 2003. It was inspected by Odet and had a P3K emitter. And no, I am not someone with a perfect memory. I only know this because, incredibly, Arc-LS serial number is still here on CPF!

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?61283-Arc-LS-serial-number-data

Unfortunately, the light didn't work (stuck in "moon" mode) and had to be returned for repair. But the first repair didn't work either. I was starting to wonder if Peter Gransee and CPF were a scam. But the third time was a charm. The working light arrived about a week before Christmas. And, just as the title states, it has been in my pocket for 10 years. No lie. Yes, there have been additional lights at times. Fenix, HDS Systems (which I still use) and others. But the LSHF-P has always resided in my pocket, a full decade now.

I didn't care for the standard clicky switch, so I searched for a twisty. The first ones I got were polished aluminum, as I couldn't locate any that were anodized. But I finally found an anodized twisty. And it came with a green trit, also still working. Here are some pics.

SN2001.jpg

Optic.jpg

Tailcap.jpg

The spots you see on the optic are underneath the protective film which I never removed. Is that anal enough for you? I upgraded the emitter to a SXOH, but I couldn't get the epoxied retaining ring loose. I sent it off to another CPF member who did the work for free. Wish I could remember who that was - some great folks here on CPF.

Yeah, I know this is an old light. Today's lights have 10,000 programmable brightness levels and run Android OS. You young members won't understand. But the old fogies here know what I'm talking about. And I bet in 2023 one of today's younger members will be posting their own "10 Year EDC" thread.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first light from here was an Arc LS twisty modded with Fraen lens and some upgraded Luxeon LED... pumpiing out ~40 lumens.

What an awesome light that was! 40 lumens was so much brighter back then.

10 yrs is impressive, how many CR123s have gone through that thing?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a great post. Is about 10 years ago I joined cpf. I never got in the Arc LS but I do remember these lights. The runtimes were short on led back then but the CR123 were cheap. You light is a testament to twisty lights and good design. Maybe overbuilt. I regret not keeping my SF lights I had around 2002 or 2003. Tells us more about your Arc LS and post more pictures :) Tell us more about it the experiences with the LS.
I asked Peter about a year ago to remake the original AA with a newer emitter but he won't.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember taking my Arc LSH to the Grand Canyon and thinking I got the best light in the crowd back around 2001. Later that year I watched sunset in Red Rock Canyon and used it to make my way back to my car which involved a lot of bouldering after dark! I took that light everywhere. I still have it and my original Arc AAA and AA. I use the Arc AA around the house even today.

I wonder what Peter and Merry are doing these days.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My old Arc LSL resides today in my "Cabinet of Honor", along with the Arc AA. I well remember when Peter offered the last LSL's, along with a 2AA tube and 10 batteries for $60. I'd held out (cause I was too cheap) until then. What a wonder it was at that time. I immediately ran down to a dark room in the basement and fired it up. Wow!

Great memories.

Geoff

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had several Arc lights over the years, but I've always had one or two. I have three right now. One is an LSL-ST and has a Royal Blue emitter, one is the Lumileds version with the blue anodizing, and one is an LSH-P that I keep at my desk. The one I keep at my desk gets almost daily use, but just went dim last night. I think it's almost exactly 10 years old, but it's in perfect condition (like new). Even so, I think it's dead. I've tried several new and used batteries as well as check the contacts and eliminated all switch, battery, and other contact possibilities. I even pulled out my 2xAA tail pack from the LSL-ST and got the same result as the 123s.

Now I need to figure out whether I want to try to fix it myself or have someone do it. It could be the converter or the LED. Any suggestions? Who works with these much any more?

DaveG

Enlightened
Nice,thanks for the walk down memory lane.I am going to dig out my Arc's and check them out again.

bagman

Enlightened
My key ring light is still an ARC P AAA. It does not get used very often as I almost always have another more powerful/flexible light in my pocket but it still does the business when required.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
My AAA ARC-P has been on my keychain since 06 and will remain there for the foreseeable future. Even though it is my last resort backup light, it's important to me that I carry it there. Even though I hardly ever use it, I cherish having it. It's special.. to me.

nickdizonc

Newly Enlightened
That is remarkable. 10 years is a long time. ARC should be lucky to have a walking testimonial such as yourself. Great post.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
That twisty looks like the one that I put a trit in. Do you know where you got it?
Chris

To all - thanks for the kind comments. How many CR123As have I gone through? Plenty. Had I any idea this little wonder would be around for 10+ years, I would have kept count.

Christoph - It took me months to find the twisty on CPF Marketplace. The anodized ones weren't very common, and I have no idea who did the trit, so I suppose it well could be yours. I know I paid a premium for it. A few days ago I got up a night to relieve myself. I didn't turn on any lights and didn't have my glasses on. As I maneuvered around in the unlit bathroom, I thought I was hallucinating - kept seeing something bright green coming from my shirt pocket. Sure enough, it was the trit. Amazing how bright they are to the dark adapted eye.

phoneguy

Enlightened
10 yrs is awesome!!
Thanks for sharing
I still have number 427 I believe with the clicky that is almost uncarried, and 1 polished one with a 5 watt mod and 1 with a 3 watt mod

Bryan

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had several Arc lights over the years, but I've always had one or two. I have three right now. One is an LSL-ST and has a Royal Blue emitter, one is the Lumileds version with the blue anodizing, and one is an LSH-P that I keep at my desk. The one I keep at my desk gets almost daily use, but just went dim last night. I think it's almost exactly 10 years old, but it's in perfect condition (like new). Even so, I think it's dead. I've tried several new and used batteries as well as check the contacts and eliminated all switch, battery, and other contact possibilities. I even pulled out my 2xAA tail pack from the LSL-ST and got the same result as the 123s.

Now I need to figure out whether I want to try to fix it myself or have someone do it. It could be the converter or the LED. Any suggestions? Who works with these much any more?

So who fixes these?