Crazy Tight O-Rings on Several Brands

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had to remove the o-rings on most of my lights - even old ones - because it's too hard to turn the switch. Most of these lights came factory lubed. Doing a search seemed to indicate this has been and still is a problem. In fact, the lights often get harder to operate as they get used more, even when re-lubed. This seems like a simple problem to avoid when technology has advanced so much in other areas. Any helpful info out there? Thanks.

Onthelightside

Enlightened
My guess is that they make it tight for the waterproof seal. I know what you mean though, especially annoying with twisty UI lights.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good idea, I'm sure, to maintain a more waterproof environment. A surprising number of new and old lights have o-ring issues ... given my, singular, history. Being such a tiny sample, i wanted to know what other's experiences were. The Surefire brand, shown above, never gave me o-ring problems. I'm fortunate to have six older SF lights.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Flashlights should be regularly cleaned and lubed. When I get a new light I usually take it apart to clean and lube it then. Often I get a lot of grit out of the brand new light at that point and it feels a lot smoother than it did out of the package. Whenever I change batteries I'll usually wipe the threads to check for dirt and grit - if I get any amount off its clean and lube time again. If not I check to make sure there is still lube on the o-ring and add if required (it should always have a light coat on it).

It usually only takes a couple minutes and is worth the effort the one to a few times a year it may take. It's important for lights you use a lot or leave in hot environments like a car. Lightly used lights in gentle environments can go much longer.

nbp

Flashaholic
Sometimes you can also put lube underneath the o-ring in the groove it seats in. As you thread on the tailcap it can help keep things from binding up since the o-ring can spin a little bit. Seems to help me with certain lights.

Etsu

Enlightened
Flashlights should be regularly cleaned and lubed.

I find that twisties really benefit from regular cleaning and oiling. Regular lights (with switches) last a long time before needing any new lubrication, but I'm not too hard on my lights so YMMV.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
Silcone Fuser oil on the threads with some light sythetic grease on the o-rings keeps my lights turning easier then when new.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a small container of plumbers silicone grease from Radiator Speciality co, it's made by Gunk. label says for lubricating faucet stems, valves, O-rings, gaskets. It says contains no petroleum additives.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a bunch of smaller EDC type lights and use Nyogel 760G on the o-rings and threads. I've never cracked, or torn, an o-ring yet, but most of my lights come with spares. I'm about two years in on most of the below lights and ~16 years with the MaglLite 6Ds. Since I run Li-Ions in most, I'm always removing the cells and testing/charging them up, so it's not like I baby those o-rings by leaving them alone.

Chris