mag 3d drop in question.

matlocc

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this forum. third post! what is a good 3d mag light drop in, I see that there are two types available on ebay. One is a single led the other is a bunch. Just trying to bring my 15/20 yr old mag light up to speed with the stuff today. don't want to spend a bunch of money.
My girlfriend caught me on this sight and just shook her head. I am in no way as into lights as most of you. I just want something bright to carry in the truck.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
The "Fusion 36" found on Ebay are pretty good to up close. They put out a lot of light, but they don't have a lot of throw. The distance gets out there a little though just from the amount of light. Give us a budget, I spent about $120 on my 3d mag and have a huge wall of light.

357mag1

Enlightened
I am new to this forum. third post! what is a good 3d mag light drop in, I see that there are two types available on ebay. One is a single led the other is a bunch. Just trying to bring my 15/20 yr old mag light up to speed with the stuff today. don't want to spend a bunch of money.
My girlfriend caught me on this sight and just shook her head. I am in no way as into lights as most of you. I just want something bright to carry in the truck.

Just go with the Malkoff and you won't regret it. They hold their value fairly well if you decide to sell it. The XML version is a huge upgrade but the XPG makes more sense for runtime and use with alkaline batteries.

Diesel Pro

Newly Enlightened
What 357mag1 said!

I just put Malkoff drop ins in most of my old Mag Lites. Also did one for Ma so there is always a good light at her house for projects etc. The difference is amazing. Just stick with the std XPG unit no need for the high dollar XML. I did one of the XML anyhow just for good measures. I still have one 4D and an older 2D to do eventually.

Mbehe87

Newly Enlightened
matlocc,

I have never owned a Malkoff Mag drop-in, but as a general statement I can reiterate what others have said regarding the quality of his products (I have several other Malkoff lights and drop ins).

The Malkoff XP-G2 Mag Drop-in is probably your best bet since you can run normal alkaline batteries. It is currently out of stock, but you can sign up for the email notification list.

I actually just purchased a Mag 3D with included Malkoff XPG drop-in from CPF Marketplace. I plan to sell the drop in and then buy the newer XP-G2 model, just to have the "latest and greatest". Maybe we can work out a deal since you were trying to keep the price low. I just ordered this today so I do not have it in-hand yet. Mods, if mentioning that is not within the rules, please accept my apology and feel free to edit, I don't know if matlocc has enough posts to PM yet.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan to sell the drop in and then buy the newer XP-G2 model, just to have the "latest and greatest".

You won't notice much difference. I don't think the driver has changed, you will still get 1A to the LED. The difference is going to be the LED, and the one thing I noticed is that there seem to be fewer artifacts in the beam. XP-G2 seem to be a bit bluer. Still, mod it to use a Nichia 219. I just did the mod a week ago and it is brilliant. Add the medium orange peel reflector from Kaidomain and it is a really good smooth beam.

I love the Malkoff drop-in. I have 4, XM-L2, XM-L, XP-G2, XP-G (although swapped to a Nichia 219). I said I would never buy another Mag but I found myself buying one of those new bi-pin Mags just for the modded XP-G.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I agree w/ treek13's first suggestion. The TerraLux one. Welcome to CPF. Your girlfriend shook her head; my wife rolls her eyes at me... Ha ha

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just stick with the std XPG unit no need for the high dollar XML. I did one of the XML anyhow just for good measures.

I have to disagree here. The XM-L2 drop-ins put out substantially more light than the XP-G2 drop-ins. If you want the brightest light possible, they are THE way to go. Of course, the XP-G2 drop-ins are by no means shabby. They are preferable if you don't want to spend the money on an XM-L2 drop-in, want to use alkaline batteries, and, at least with 3-6 cell lights, you want LOTS of runtime. Of course, with 2,5, and 6 cell lights, no XM-L2 drop-in is available. At least not with standard battery configurations.