purple luxeon?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Not that I know of.
You can get a royal blue Luxeon (around 450-455nm), but that's about as short a wavelength as they get.
Unless of course, there have been some developments that I'm unaware of.

red_robby

Enlightened
fantasy will have to do then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif, I have a LS3 royal blue, and a 1W royal blue in a dorcy 1AAA, really nice color...
I wish I could make my own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
(like I'm the only one that's ever wished that.)

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumileds has lab samples that produce 430nm, but they seem to like to hang onto those samples, as they are their most efficient (optical power out vs power in), and like to quote the performance of the 430s in their tech presentations.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't think they do...commercially anyhow.

However, there seems little reason for that. I mean, to create a purple colour, why not just use the same phosphor that was used to create the pink/purple LED's a while back. Even though I do also have to admit that I've never seen them first hand either. Only thing I do recall was that there were some stability issues with the phosphors involved, at the start anyway. I guess the higher intensity of the light/heat that close to the die of an LS would accelerate any such breakdown. That and that there's maybe not sufficient enough a market for such a product to be developed.

Seems possible enough though, but I guess LumiLEDs have their reasons for not making them.

There's a page on purple (and pink) LED's of that type in the LED Museum.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
As far as I know, Lumileds sometimes gets a very small number of purple or violet LEDs from a batch of royal blue ones. For some reason or other, not enough indium gets in there, so the affected wafer emits a violet color instead of royal blue when it's finished. These LEDs are kept; and not sold, given away, or even shown.

Remember, this is as far as I know, so please don't take my statement for any more than you paid for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif