Question regarding optics

AndyF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm researching parts for a mod I would like to do. I would like to build a quad or triple inside a Surefire Z46 (M3) using Osram SSL80 or SSL150 emitters.

Question is, does the beam angle from the emitter play a significant role when using either a Carclo or Ledil optic, or is this more of an issue when using reflectors.

I would like to try these or Golden Dragon+ instead of the more popular Cree/Nichia emitters.

Thanks in advance.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the emitter plays an even larger role when using optics. with reflectors you can get acceptable beams by adjusting its height, and centering.
but with some optics, its very specific what emitter will generate an acceptable beam. ive played some some 20mm narrow optics and with certain emitters the beams are just horrid no matter how i adjust it.

for triples or quads, ive only used the carlco 20mm triple optics. ive tried it with XP-G2, and XP-E2 emitters. the XP-E2 does not produce as nice a beam, but it is narrower, but i would still consider it very floody. i cant say what itll look like with the GDP emitter.