4Sevens Atom AL & 360° Headlamp Kit Quickshot Review

gunga

Flashaholic
4Sevens Atom AL & 360° Headlamp Kit Quickshot Review

Okay, due to family constraints, for the time being, my reviews will have to be quick impressions and observations.

First off is the Atom AL, a compact stainless steel light, powered by CR123 (or rechargeable RCR123s/16340).

Here are the specs, ported from 4Sevens.

Battery Type: CR123 (or 16340)
Low Mode: 6 lumens, 40 hours
High Mode: 110 lumens, 3.5 hours
LED: XPG2 (Cool white)
Body Material: Stainless steel, bead blasted
Lens Material: Plastic optic lens
Features: Lanyard loop, magnet tail
Size: 1.84 x 0.77", 1.03 oz
Retail Price: $40

Impressions & Observations

My overall impressions are very positive. This is a lightweight but nicely made light. The light does not feel substantial, but the thin steel walls are quite strong. I see no durability concerns here. Light operation was initially stiff, too stiff. I even broke an o-ring on the first day. The thin steel walls require a very thin (and hence fragile) o-ring. After lubricating the spare, I found operation to be much smoother and so far have not had any other issues.

atom_al_20140211_0011_zps66f0694c.jpg

As you can see, this is a tiny light, barely larger than the battery it houses. The following picture shows it with the equally tiny 4Sevens Preon P0 (This light has been heavily used so I brushed the finish off), as well as a 16340 battery and AA battery as a size reference.

atom_al_20140211_0005_zpsa7766f64.jpg

The light it self is a reflector-less pure flood (or "mule") configuration, so it is best used for close range tasks where a wide, even, floody beam is desired. Any notion of throw should be discarded, this is a task light, not a spotting or tactical light. That said, I found the beam to be very useful for it's intended purposes: close range tasks, reading, working in tight spaces etc.

Instead of a reflector, there is a disk of glow material that provides a nice after-glow when the light has just been used. This may add some green tint to the edge of the beam, but it was not an issue in use.

atom_al_20140211_0007_zpsf6075d0e.jpg

atom_al_20140211_0008_zpsc6112a52.jpg

I also find the magnet on the tail to be very useful. It is strong enough to hold the light in any position and adds an extra degree of utility for this light, making is perhaps a very useful light for automotive work.

atom_al_20140211_0012_zpsb66e834f.jpg

The light is a progressive twisty, that is, twist a little for low, twist more for high. This is an ideal user interface for this light and is far superior to the multi-twists required for many other similar lights. Internally, it seems that the two levels are controlled but a springy metal disk in the head. Initial battery contact turns on the low beam, and more pressure compresses the disk, closing the circuit and initiating the high beam. This seems like a more durable alternative to similar circuits I have seen in the past that rely on springs or springy metal tabs. Only time will tell, but the design seems durable. I find the concept similar to metal membrane buttons one can find in some remote controls.

atom_al_20140211_0010_zps8fd2f162.jpg

The brightness levels seem well spaced and I didn't notice any PWM (pulsing/flicker) in the beam. The low level is a useful and the high is quiet impressive however I do find that I would appreciate a different set of levels. I likely would prefer a lower low mode, for use with dark-adapted eyes, and also a lower high mode, since I found the current high level to be excessive for extended use. In fact, I would have greatly preferred three levels, however, I believe that would be difficult to achieve based on the current switching configuration.

Overall, I do find this to be a nice, useful short-range task light, however, it's usage is greatly enhanced by the 360° headlamp kit.

The Kit That Completes the Light

While I do like the Atom AL, I find it is wonderfully useful when combined with the 360° Headlamp kit. The floody beam is a perfect match for this well-priced kit (retail price is a very reasonable $15).

Here is the description as per 4Sevens:

"The 360° Headlamp Kit features two-way articulation to point light in any direction with single-hand on/off operation. The headlamp can be worn on the forehead or to the side above the ears and works with FOURSEVENS Atom and Mini flashlights. Atoms lock into position and are held in place securely with the integrated neodymium magnet. Mini flashlights are held by using the 2 included o-rings for each Mini. All lights are sold separately and are not included in this kit.
Compatible flashlights include: Mini ML, Mini MA, Mini MLR2, and all Atom flashlights as well as the Preon P0. This product is not compatible with the Mini M2A.
The 360° Headlamp Kit includes the head strap, headlamp cradle, 3 fitted adapters for the different Atom models, and 2 o-rings for each of the Mini models."

Well, thus far, I have used the headlamp kit with both Atom AL and Preon P0 models (I don't own any other compatible flashlights). I find it to be extremely user friendly and useful. The smooth, wide floody beams and the very adjustable mount make this kit ideal for providing light from most any angle. The included adapters mate well with the lights, providing one-handed operation as well as easy removal based on the magnet attachment. I believe that use with the Mini series of lights may be a touch more fiddly since they require o-rings to properly attach to the kit. I have heard positive results with all compatible lights though, so your mileage may vary.

atom_al_20140211_0004_zps1cc5c859.jpg

atom_al_20140211_0006_zpse070b88b.jpg

I have shown the Atom AL in the 360° next to a common Zebralight H51. As you can see, the headband is quite substantial and comfortable. I'm happy to report that the headband fits around my rather large head. While the wide headband is comfortable, I did find it was more "noticable" compared to a slimmer band. I tend to overheat easily so would prefer a thinner, narrower band, but some may feel differently. The headlamp kit tends to make one look like a "unicorn". While this is not a benefit, I find that the extended lamp eliminated the glare that is often found while wearing a headlamp with eye-glasses (a very real benefit). Ah, thus is the price of fashion. :)

atom_al_20140211_0003_zpsd0d20ae8.jpg

atom_al_20140211_0002_zpsf847f472.jpg

The headlamp mount itself seems quite durable, with very solid (and loud) detents to hold it in place, I wonder if 4Sevens would sell the mount separately. This would allow one to mount two different kind of lights to the headband (perhaps one for flood, one for throw).

The Atom AL and the 360° headlamp kit are a perfect match and provide a very useful dual-purpose combo at a very reasonable price (retail $55 for the combination). I would recommend this for most and especially for those unsure they want to commit to a single purpose headlamp. Great Job 4Sevens.

atom_al_20140211_0001_zps69867212.jpg

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review as usual, thanks for sharing. Any idea as to getting rid of the blessed magnet that sticks to too many things in my pocket?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right of course, I forgot about that. Any practical advice? Solder, oven, flame, ... ?

I used a butane torch lighter for my preon PO for about 10 seconds. Just remember to remove the o-ring so it won't melt... Note that it did not completely remove the magnetism but it's not annoying anymore...

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review, gunga!

Well, I'm definitely interested in the Headlamp Kit.

This would allow one to mount two different kind of lights to the headband (perhaps one for flood, one for throw).

Hope they'll sell the mount separately, as you mentioned... This definitely looks practical, without having to look like a unicorn. :)

12462354885_0cb970ba23_n.jpg

Image courtesy of 4Sevens
Vidcap from their official Atom line-up and 360 Headlamp Kit YouTube video

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks for the feedback guys! Yes, the combo is very useful, especially if you can purchase extra mounts. One thing to note, if using the Atom (or likely any other light), is that one can't use a lanyard (or the split ring) with the light. I do really like the ability to switch from headlamp to stand alone utility with magnet tail.

Yes, I have heard an open flame can be used to somewhat demagnetize the tail magnet.

While the unicorn is not a good look, it does move the light source ahead of eyeglasses. This is important because of the wide, diffuse beam.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
While the unicorn is not a good look, it does move the light source ahead of eyeglasses. This is important because of the wide, diffuse beam.
I also have a large head and I also wear glasses. I have found that moving the light from the side of the head toward the front of my head, but stopping about even with my eye (or putting it directly on my temple, in other words), will allow for side-mounting the light, while still getting the light far enough forward to keep the beam from striking the back side of my glasses. The 360-degree, two-axis swivel on the mount allows for proper positioning and angling of the light.

In my opinion, this headlamp adapter kit is a great design! The adapters for the Atom series fit amazingly well, and the o-rings for the MiniX-123 make that light fit quite well, too.

Well done, David and team!

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, read the review, and was convinced

Just ordered the CR123 Atom and the headlamp kit. This should make a great house/garage work light.

But I am now wishing I had not sold my Hi CRI Mini..

How about a Hi CRI Atom in the near future???

Nice to see the Atom AAA with the red XP-E; will have to pick one of those up.

It will be interesting to see if the various adapters will accommodate other lights, like the L3 L10 and L08, and the old NiteCore EZCR2, or if these could be made to work with the simple application of appropriately sized O-rings.

gunga

Flashaholic
Sounds great! Be sure to post feedback after you try it out. I'll try to get an AA model and post an addendum to the review.

I may try out an L3 L10 and post feedback too.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the L10. Head twist is a little tight, but for the price, I'm very pleased with the light, especially with the Nichia 219. I'll reserve judgment on its durability until after its taken a few bumps and spills in the woods with me.

I'm also keen to try the AAA L08 with the Nichia 219.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does 4sevens make others with this same progressive twist two mode ui, with some knurling?

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Does 4sevens make others with this same progressive twist two mode ui, with some knurling?

I believe that the ATOM series is the first and only.

Maybe it's not a fair comparison and maybe FourSevens have done it right here, but I always think of the Thrunite Ti's with the weak metal tab when I think of this UI. The thought doesn't instill a lot of confidence, that's for sure. I'll be interested to hear long-term reports on how this one holds up in that regard.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'd say the 4Sevens design (domed metal button) looks a lot more robust than the ti design you speak of.

It looks like a metal membrane type button as you might see in a remote control or perhaps a keyboard.

I had a ti so know what you mean. Short term testing reveals no issues and the design appears to be robust but only time will tell.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
I'd say the 4Sevens design (domed metal button) looks a lot more robust than the ti design you speak of.

It looks like a metal membrane type button as you might see in a remote control or perhaps a keyboard.

I had a ti so know what you mean. Short term testing reveals no issues and the design appears to be robust but only time will tell.

Thanks for he info. Much appreciated!

Does anyone have a pic of what the switching mechanism (I'm gonna use gunga's "metal membrane type button" term here)?

gunga

Flashaholic
I have a picture above but it just looks like a metal contact. If you peel the red rubber surround the membrane can lift out. I'm unsure if it's attached firmly or just held in like a plug with the rubber ring holding it in (there is adhesive underneath). I can take a closer look and perhaps try to photograph it. The design would be robust but three levels are out of the question.

dwong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, I ordered the kit for my 47 Mini CR2 light. Plan to keep this set in the car.
Works good for some house repairs tasks, under sink, etc. The ratcheting retention is very loose, don't think anyone can run with this setup.

Last edited: