New: Coleman 1000 LUMEN CPX™ 6 LANTERN

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.coleman.com/product/1000-lumen-cpx-6-lantern/2000013865?contextCategory=1080#.Uv5vqWAo6mc Ok, just received this bad boy direct from Coleman ($61 including tax and shipping), so thought I'd post some initial impressions. When I read that Coleman released a warm tinted led lantern that was intended to compete with fueled ones, I impulse bit. So, rated at 1000/330/60 lumens, this lantern also has a slow flash feature as well (at full power). The UI isn't great, as you have to cycle through the levels to turn it off. Sigh; c'est la vie, I guess. Build quality is perhaps a touch above their previous led lanterns. The hard plastic has some softer rubbery feeling plastic in contact areas. The light is triangular when viewed from the top, all the way to the bottom for a prism shape. The 5 leds are mounted in a triangular pedestal that has what appear to be aluminum cooling fins all around it; it looks beefy. Capping the pedestal is a yellow colored, flat topped triangular cap. You can easily see this is what's mitigating the cool led color beneath. The result, like the GE 8D lantern, is a nicely tinted neutral white. There is a triangular reflector directly above the pedestal, and the plastic sides of the light portion of the lantern are completely transparent; no frosting, etc. The word Coleman is frosted on the "glass" on one side, top to bottom. There's a short metal bail as well. It's daytime now, so I'll post more impressions of tint and brightness this evening. I can say this - on high, holding the lantern, you can't look at it; it's too dang bright. I expect this lantern to be brighter than all other led ones I own (a lot...). We shall see. I will compare it to the GE, the Energizer new 8AA folding, Rayovac Sportsman, and Coleman 200 lumen camper. I can probably dig us a couple of others as well, like some fluoros.

Last edited:

Hoop

Enlightened
This looks like a good step forward in terms of brightness while hopefully keeping a neutral color temperature. The lack of diffusion should make it uncomfortable to use on high however, and it does not achieve the 8 hour runtime of propane, but it's a step forward all the same. The CPX rechargeable batteries are lead acid, so no lifepo4 here...

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current draw for lo-med-hi on 4xnimh D cells- 350ma-1.55A-4.6A. On new alks, 270-1.2-3.2a. Actually, the yellow cap diffuses the output and makes it neutral white. On high, it blows away all my other stock battery lanterns for output. Period. 4.6 amps! On Nimh Ds, it will have around 2hrs runtime. Alk cells will not be able to power hi level at full power. On the other hand, a propane lantern like the northstar will go 5 hrs on high for around 1600 lumens. But the output of this lantern does approach less bright liquid fuel lanterns; just not the runtime. To be fair, fueled lanterns are also larger and heavier. At the end of the day, this is still a worthy purchase for any true lumenholic.

This lantern, using the CPX 6 SLA pack is as bright on low as most others on high. Wow.

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
Thanks for reviewing this for us... I kinda want one. How did you get that price? The website shows 75.

raysuf

Newly Enlightened
I have recently joined the form to learn more about LED and lighting in general. I have been looking for a lantern for, the wife's and my teardrop. I've been looking for a LED lantern to replace a propane lantern. Been kinda surprised with the lack of choices that try to fill this area.

Anyway, I ordered one of these colemans lanterns from LL Bean for $59.96. They list it for $74.95, but offer a 20% discount on a frequent basis and offer free shipping.

Currently, I waiting for it to come in. They had it listed as backordered, so I have close to another week before it ships.

flyingtoaster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the impressions. Looks like a neat little toy to play around with indoors or when you don't need a lantern that kills moths. My liquid fueled lantern mantles are also too bright to look at, so I got frosted globes for both of them. You can mask off the led lantern globe and sand blast it. Then again, it's electrical, so you may need that warranty.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently joined the form to learn more about LED and lighting in general. I have been looking for a lantern for, the wife's and my teardrop. I've been looking for a LED lantern to replace a propane lantern. Been kinda surprised with the lack of choices that try to fill this area.

Anyway, I ordered one of these colemans lanterns from LL Bean for $59.96. They list it for $74.95, but offer a 20% discount on a frequent basis and offer free shipping.

Currently, I waiting for it to come in. They had it listed as backordered, so I have close to another week before it ships.

Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

made in china

Newly Enlightened
Actually, the yellow cap diffuses the output and makes it neutral white.

The yellow cap is actually a remote phosphor, and the 5 rebel ES leds are probably royal blue. The deep blue excites the yellow phosphor to produce an intense, even light. It's a good, common design used in many LED household light bulbs.

filibuster

Enlightened
My 1000 lumen CPX 6 came in the mail a few days ago direct from coleman.com and I powered it up and started using it.

The lantern is made of a large curved edge triangle shaped case with a single piece all metal handle that folds flush into the top of the lantern. Not a bad looking product.

First thing I notice when I pressed the button is a high pitch hum/buzz like an angry mosquito trying to get out of the case when I turn the lantern on low with 4 fresh new D cell alkaline batteries.
The buzz and hum must be tied to the PWM strobing of the LED on the low mode light output. The LED light tint is quite good!

The second thing I notice as I press the button again and turn the light to medium is the same high pitch hum/buzz maybe at a slightly different pitch. The PWM is still easily noticed when I move my hand in front of the light.

The third thing I notice when I turn it on high is that THIS IS ONE BRIGHT LED LANTERN!! No hum on high! And a very solid bright steady light coming from the central triangular light source.
No PWM on high mode just a nice full light that spreads out evenly all around (360) with very few artifacts in the beam.

The forth thing I notice is that clicking the button again turns it into a flashing beacon which I'm not a fan of. I'd rather have it hidden and available if I press and hold the button down.

You also have to cycle through all the modes to get to the "off" position. I'd rather it go immediately to off after being on one mode for say 5-10 seconds.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, no question the UI is not this lantern's forte. Massive output, good tint, no huge artifacts and low glare are it's strengths. I tell myself that with a lantern, it's not like I'm going to be constantly fiddling with the modes anyway.

filibuster

Enlightened
Do any of your 1000 lumen lanterns noticeably buzz or hum in the low and medium modes?

raysuf

Newly Enlightened
Lantern came in last night.

I think filibuster summed up the lantern well. The hum was only noticeable inside the house within arms length, won't be an issue at a campground.

One thing I do wish is the globe come with a plastic cover on it for shipping. Mine has some light scratches on it out of the packaging.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I got one recently and it is by far the brightest LED lantern I have seen. The LED heat sink is huge and heavily finned. I also got a batch of Tenergy Centura batteries for it and it runs great on them. Based on reviews DO NOT get the Coleman CPX6 rechargeable battery pack as it is a Sealed Lead Acid pack and unless recharged regularly, even when the lantern is not in regular use, can die very quickly. Bad and obsolete technology in my opinion. About 1/3 of close to 300 Amazon reviewers have given the battery pack a one star rating (I hate it).

Mine does have the buzz on low and medium and barely noticeable PWM when lighting up fan blades. Fairly high frequency PWM so not too bad unless you are quite sensitive to it.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really considering picking this up. would y'all recommend this as a great first lantern purchase? I'd run it on NiMh cells in D adapters.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm really considering picking this up. would y'all recommend this as a great first lantern purchase? I'd run it on NiMh cells in D adapters.
How many AAs in each adapter do you plan to run?
How do you plan to use the lantern? In other words, for short times on high?
Or many hours during power outages?

You might want to look at the run-time comparisons between 3D-cell alkalines, and 3 single duraloops if you are thinking of using only one AA in each D adapter. I did that in the Ozark Trails 300 lumen lantern thread.

This lantern pulls much more from the batteries that the Ozark does.